Block with integrated cleat / clutch

ab1974

Not sure if something exists, but looking for a idea to save my drilling some more holes to fit a clutch.

The headsail furler line comes back to the cockpit via some leading blocks and then a large turning block attached to a strong through deck pad-eye and is either winched in using either the unused genoa winch or traveller winch. That is fine when the headsail is either all out or furled away, however if I want it 'reefed' then it is a tricky to get the furling line off the winch and onto a 'T' cleat so I can use the winch for its intended task.

I could fit a clutch just prior to the furling line going through the turning block, however I was going to try and avoid drilling holes. Is there such as thing a turning block with a integrated clutch?

This kind of gig?

Used on some of the 88s (and of course other classes) where the same winch is frequently used for both headsail and kite, so at the top mark you need to offload the headsail on to "something" in time to get the kite sheet on to the same winch.

They are not totally foolproof, in the sense that they grab best if you "help" the cam lever in at the same time as you are giving the sheet a bit of ease. But pretty bloody good!

No idea if this is the right size for your kind of load - but a starting point anyway:

http://www.fostersshipchandlery.co.nz/a ... BLOCK.html

They are made for mounting flat (rather than shackling into a pad eye) so if you need a bit of elevation off the deck to get the angle right to a winch, best to fit it on an angled teak pad or something like that.

1967.jpg

Thanks Murky - thats the sort of thing I meant. Knew there must have been something.

Any idea if someone manufactures something like that for use with a shackle / padeye set up? Unforunately the flat mount / teak pad sort of defeats the 'no new holes' / keep it simple stupid solution.

1200kg SWL on the block, but only 240kg on the cam. Wonder what the load would be on the furling line in 30knots upwind. Would only be momentarily when moving the line from winch to cleat. 46' catamaran.

Archived