FASUP

3-4kts should be plenty to get it working. it only needs to take 30% +/- of the weight, knot all of it. or would it cause too much drag and be useless? i dunno so i guess im gonna find out :thumbup:

Give it a go, I am certainly not rubbishing you and am interested to see what actually happens. But as a rule of physics, you are actually trying to do a similar principle as flying by flapping your arms. So far Humans have not been able to provide enough Hp to overcome their mass. In your case, paddling to 4kts would be one thing, then overcoming your body mass to lift out of the water would be quite another. However, with most science, you normally need an experiment to prove theories and to learn further information. It would be interesting to see what happened if you towed behind a boat or jet ski. Or taking that one step further, mounting a small jetski motor to the board would be fun. It's been done without the foil, but I don't believe it has with a foil.

believe it or knot there are fully foiling kayaks around, this is where i got the idea from. maybe lifting foils is the wrong area to look at for an ultra efficient touring board, a tri board perhaps? here is a quick drawing i did on sketchup. from a few very rough calculations (i.e i looked at my current board and made up some numbers in my head) a tri to these dimensions- aka 3.7m loa x 200mm beam, amas 3m loa x 150mm- would have heaps more buoyancy than your usual 3.7m board (maybe, i dont actually know im just guessing all this stuff :sailor: the drawing is to scale though so you get the idea)

post-10268-14188722367.png

post-10268-141887223672.png

This sort of thing has been tried on surfboards and they did get "air" but I believe needed a jetski tow onto a wave to get up there. Want more speed why not make it longer and narrower?

V interesting ....be interesting so see how it goes..also suspect the speed required to make it lift will be greater than a SUP will go unassisted however good luck and please keep us informed...

I paddle a surf ski which will travel at 12km/hr flat water and when down wind in swells over 20km/hr ie faster than a SUP but suspect the stability would be a factor espec in swells when you are needing to adjust balance constantly ..plus a ski is so much narrower....

interesting to see how it goes jh. Good on ya.

I recall something similar about a hydrofoil kayak from a human powered hydrofoil site a few years ago. As I recall they found it required a olympic level paddler to get up on the foils and could only be maintained for a period of seconds.

I think I read somewhere a human can only sustain about a 1/4 a horsepower for longer periods of time, and it required well over 1HP to foil (closer to 2 from memory).

Sure you probably came across this vid but this is the 'flyak' that shows how much power is required by a paddler to foil. Impressive speed when he does get up tho.

Archived