saved at sea

Taniwha

A small minority of citizens called "taxpayers".

They are a unusual group of people whom work a third of their life for nothing and mainly reside in a group between the. Filthy rich/corporates and the poor/benefit bludgers.

These two groups are either subsidized or have creative accounting.

The Taxpayers generally subsidize everything and never stand up against anything as they are to busy working whilst trying to have a life.

They used to be the silent majority but I think they are just silent now?

To the best of my knowledge noone has ever been charged by a Shipping company for the cost of being picked.

The answer above might apply to rescues by Navy/CG or similar in those bits of the ocean where such services are available. Which by the way are not as common as many seem to think, there are lots of bits of ocean where you are still left to your own devices.

Was just wondering what the deal was in case we happen upon a bit of bad luck next yr. I heard that couple who got picked up oft west coast last year after boat rolled were now broke. I wasn't sure if that was to do with the cost of rescue or not

Doubt it, more likely had all their worldlies tied up in a boat they lost. Some people like insurance, others are happy to sail without it. For offshore work it is expensive, at a wild guess maybe 1/3 of the offshore fleet is uninsured???

Was just wondering what the deal was in case we happen upon a bit of bad luck next yr. I heard that couple who got picked up oft west coast last year after boat rolled were now broke. I wasn't sure if that was to do with the cost of rescue or not

I recall the couple who got off the Bavaria after ' rolling' on the way from Tonga to NZ.

They were in the news again when their boat washed up in Australia, stripped. Them ?

SAR bill is picked up by which ever nation has the misfortune to be involved.

You would normally only be charged for something through the courts, i.e. something to do with gross stupidity....... leading to death etc....

as an aside interesting to see a Texas SAR charity is looking at reactivating the search for the missing schooner (in the Lord Howe area) and is looking for funding to pay the RAAF and RNZAF for fuel.....

No, very unlikely they would get charged for anything, if anything the ship that picked them up would have grounds for some cost recovery, that would be handled by the government agency involved.

Generally SAR is a freebie for victims. (including 'vessels of opportunity')

Archived