Mast wiring

but but but a fast strobe is a toy I don't have currently.... I want one :lol:

DOH!! I can have that and only 3 wires. Damn, all day I thought I needed the 4th.

I should read instructions more than once...

.......or buy an industrial 30 m extension cord......cut the ends off. Desgined for movement and tight jacket, and rough treatment ...and super cheap. (not house flex)

Seconded.

You can get these in 1mm and 1.5mm.

Very roughly, assuming the run is 18 meters including from the mast to the switch panel ( and assuming the switch panel is fed with a very solid supply ) your going to lose about .6V with 1mm cable, and about .4V with 1.5mm cable. What is the current loading your expecting to be putting up there, and whats the total run length? We can then tell you what the voltage loss will be for a given cable size.

Hey SJB and TT, read back in the post. Both answers are there. Run is 32m, load is 1amp. For a 3% voltage drop, the required cable is 2mm square, at 12v.

Trailer cable is too small cross section for this length. And not tinned.

The perfect cable is 2mm tinned marine cable.

KM may choose to use the extension lead as a compromise, but it has no tinning, and is a bit small, although it will work....

Na, I'll be tinny upping for sure. Do it once, do it right.

Buggered if I'm going up that noddle to fix dodgy wiring when for less than a 6 pack it can be done properly.

The light says it uses 0.126 to 0.155 amps.

Yep, that's the right current for that light. I used 1a in my calcs just to give some leeway if you ever want to add something else, or change the light for any reason.....

That's good KM, tinned is what I would use, with decent connectors covered with resin cored heat shrink. Should last for many years without issues....

Archived