Electro-mecanical

Lets try yet again.

Name something, simple is preferred, that is Electro-mechanical.

Is a autopilot electro-mechanical?

yes, because it uses electricity to make movement through mechanical wheels, gears, levers etc

so a cheap battery operated clock is electromechanical if it is analogue and has hands

but not if it is digital with no moving parts

servo motors like autopilots are the classic case

but windscreen wipers are equally, if not more, obvious

(Engineering / Electrical Engineering) of, relating to, or concerning an electrically operated mechanical device

electromechanically adv

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/electromechanical

I suspected as much, Thanks guys.

Nice comparison with the analogue verses digital.

Never thought of starter motor but that does fit. Now I do there is a motherload of electro-mechanical out there.

I you can have an electro-mechanical hydraulic valve then?

Shite that nearly killed my spellchecker :lol:

certainly

fly-by-wire aircraft full of them

The hydraulic circuits are similar except that mechanical servo valves are replaced with electrically controlled servo valves, operated by the electronic controller. This is the simplest and earliest configuration of an analog fly-by-wire flight control system. In this configuration, the flight control systems must simulate "feel". The electronic controller controls electrical feel devices that provide the appropriate "feel" forces on the manual controls. This was used in Concorde, the first production fly-by-wire airliner.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-by-wire

Having eliminated the mechanical transmission circuits in fly-by-wire flight control systems, the next step is to eliminate the bulky and heavy hydraulic circuits. The hydraulic circuit is replaced by an electrical power circuit. The power circuits power electrical or self-contained electrohydraulic actuators that are controlled by the digital flight control computers. All benefits of digital fly-by-wire are retained.

Dude, our test bed Hydraulic pump control is full of them. That's why you press a little button and 12Ton Rams move in or out and the 100Ton press goes up and down. :wink:

What's all this about ?

Or is he just trying to distract us all from wondering if he is going to make it to the start of the mateless ditch swim ?

Dude, our test bed Hydraulic pump control is full of them. That's why you press a little button and 12Ton Rams move in or out and the 100Ton press goes up and down. :wink:

You do realise confirming your boss can be retarded is a pretty crap career move? :lol: :lol:

Of course the Bed..... Doh!!

Good point Erice. I've spend some time sussing the fly by wire stuff and the systems that control it all, its fascinating and very clever. If the pilot tries to exceed the flight envelope the computers will stop him/her. A right bastard if your a suicide pilot but damn handy if your a passenger.

Looks like I'm having a bad case of tieing the ends together with this one. To much weird terminology these days. It wasn't long ago you could say 'I saw Wheels frolicking in the grass, he looked so gay' or 'When Wheels accidentally drop that can of petrol on his cat who then walked past the BBQ it went Poof'. Who would have though in a few short years both Gay and Poof would have nothing to do with Wheels, his BBQ or his pussies ;)

What's all this about ?
I like knowing how things work and someone/s made some comments about something and I'm tying to work out how and why and what for.

And yes I'm also wondering now due to a bit of info just received. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

here's a way to think of it

a small keeler with a tiller has full mechanical rudder control

with the addition of a tiller pilot like the ST1000 it becomes electromechanical control

a bigger keeler with hydraulic wheel helm doesn't get an ST1000 but a full electromechanical-hydraulic autopilot

and while we are on electromechanical-hydraulic actuators

check out the russian figher; cobra, and super cobra manoeuvres

where the pilot rips the plane out of the controlled flight envelope, so all control surfaces stall, normally leading to a few thousand feet lost in an uncontrolled plunge or flat spinl

but the advanced autopilot senses this, cuts the pilot right out of the control cct, takes control of both engines and all air foil surfaces, juggles the hugely power engines, faster than a person could, to keep the plane upright and then fallign fwd so airflow reattaches to the foils and the pilot can take control again

Archived