Gas califont

Grinna

After spending 2 weeks on the hard we've got the boat back in the water to find the gas califont isn't working. Changed the batteries in the ignition unit and still no joy. Does anyone have a gas fitter they can recommend for marine work?

grinna, these are pretty basic things. only really three main issues stop them. No gas, no spark, or insufficient water flow. can you hear and see the spark when you turn on the tap? there is gas, right - you can light the stove? use the hot tap closest to the califont, does it light then? does it not light for all the taps or just one? the gas is turned on by water flow - there must be enough. check any water strainers protecting the pressure pump. some clogging here may not be sufficient to stop the water pressure, but can restrict flow. if is just one or two taps, check the gauze strainer at the tap nozzle. a partial blockage here can stop the califont. check all that, report back for more!

I'm learning all the time :D Yes, it appears the califont is pretty basic, but the manual for it is even more basic. The ignition unit isn't even trying to light the gas .... No clicking when you turn on the tap. Water flow seems to be good, theres gas in the bottle (stove working fine). I changed the batteries in the igniter unit with some spares that have been a locker for a while .... Might need new ones to be sure. It'll be something simple, i'm sure ... I just have to nut it out.

OK, check the batts with a multi-meter. not sure about all models, but mine will spark even with the gas valve failing to open due to lack of water flow.

it will get more difficult if those batts are OK...

Batteries checked out fine, but terminals that batteries connect to needed cleaning. There's a trap for young players!

Califont now working fine thanks to the efforts of my wife who had a fiddle with it while i was at work, identified the problem and corrected it with a bit of sandpaper. Girl power! Think i'll give her all the maintenance issues to deal with from now on. :)

Archived