The old and the new

idlerboat

This is an edited version of a post that I did on http://www.metalboatbuilding.org

It is just a reflection for people thinking of building a metal boat.

It has occurred to me just how long ago now that I started my build. How much has changed. I was pondering, with a degree of jealousy :) what I would have done if.......

But the truth is, so much has changed in the 10 plus years since I first "fore sake my smaller boat for an other love"...

As a person constantly involved in the marine industry, so much is now more complicated and at the same time easier.

Not at all being cryptic with this statement, the simple fact is that we can now do so much.

I will give an example. A full set of cnc cut metal sections is much easier, more accurate, and quicker. Gone are the days where it would be sensible to spend hours with an angle grinder cutting sheet steel (like I did). Basic drawings to point 5 of a mill welding gap....

Hours and hours of labour. Small components cut from the gaps in the sheet. Curved openings and even perfect bolt holes cut .....

An Ikea, flat packed reality.

Our electronics are the same as light aircraft....and nearly as reliable.

But there is another side of this too. The essence of simplicity. Again, there is no mystery to this. We are re learning at the very top end of racing that complex systems may self manage, but are nasty to fix.

So here is an example.

Running rigging has become more and more expensive, with greater paranoia on friction loss ....special materials...clever designs...

But just recently, some of the top companies have had an important re think !! (and now sell)

Perhaps to you and I, this is just plain logic.

But here it is.

On critical high load running rigging that needs limited movement (like a vang), a simple "O" ring of aluminium , with NO moving parts, can be rated at 6000 KGs !! at a fraction of the cost.

A vang for an example can be set up as a cascade, with all the pulling power, because once set the rope movement is neither needed or desirable.

Why running blocks ? Friction on the lines ?...

This is the new possibilities for people building their own boats.

As a further point with rigging...barber haulers are far more accurate for quick sail setting, way cheaper, and dont involve deck tracks and the many holes needed.

Think that , this is crap ? So how many boats have full tow cars on their tracks ? How much does all that gear cost ? If you dont have a tow car, you have to unload the sheet to re pin it on the track...

With a barber haul system that uses a snatch block you can even let it fly to the aft most block...

For a cruising boat the decks then stay clear. No great long strips of ally to steel, that I see the corrosion results of, on a regular basis.

The VERY modern Elliot that I am helping with does not even have a main sheet track. Just a block set up. It is a thorough bred racer cruiser. :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that my boat is perhaps over complicated, and that you and new boat builders to come, have the benefits of clever technology and materials that is new and clever....and the posibility of excepting thinking that is old.

cheers

Archived