Albert "Farmer" Willetts(1900-1979) designer, builder, racer

erice

Albert "Farmer" Willetts(1900-1979) designer, builder, racer was born in Devonport, Auckland and a well-known and notable racer between the wars in his boat Waitere II.

Does anyone know anything about the boats he designed in the post war period?

Hey erice, i'd invite you to our club site, ( classic yacht assn)you'd definitely get all you want to know there, but its down at the moment .Leave it a day or two perhaps and give it a go.

Farmer is my grandfather.

His real name is William Alexander.

He died a long time before 1979 more like 1956 I think.

Farmers brother is Trot Willetts his real name Albert Leslie.

I understand with Sanders Cup success in X class that Trot was the better sailor.

Waitere II is a very famous boat.

Farmer built F57 Lady Pat post war I believe (I think). That was built in their back garden at Orakei.

If you want to know anything about Farmer call my Dad, Peter on (09) 478-6511 (he isn't too savvy with the internet).

My Father Peter completed the design work for a 36' steel yacht in 1955.

At the time it was designed as a Trans Tasman Racer and due to its steel construction it would get a favourable rating (at that time).

Neither Albert (Trotter) nor Alexander William (Farmer) ever completed a Steel design and most of Trotters designs were for smaller boats up to 30'.

During the 60's construction began on Peters design in Whangarei and if it was finally completed in 1976 that would probably tie in reasonably well as it was a drawn out process for one reason or another.

In my Dads design era he found a great steel boat builder in Fred Moore from Australia who was working out of Raglan in the mid 50's.

He built a 30' trawler to Dads design and was a master of steel hulls with round bilges.

Dad hoped the 36' keelboat he designed would get plated by Fred Moore but being based in Raglan with the owner based in Whangarei counted against him.

My Dad was somewhat put off steel round bilged construction at this time because he found it hard to find good builders who could build the designs accurately enough.

He also believes that at 36' long this was getting on the small side for the selection of steel plate available at the time.

Thanks Tim,

that ties in well with a yachting nz designer search which turned up this

Boat Name Sail Number Designer

ESCAPADE V... T31..... Willetts

JANIS........... 629..... Willetts

MARAQUITA... 2609..... Willetts

TIRA............. 547..... P W Willetts

Eric

Archived