NMEA 0183-NMEA 2000 and vice versa

Island Time

Hi Guys, I've just listed a new product, an NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter. Allows your older instruments to talk to the newer ones, or your newer ones to talk to the older (or PC/MAC/tablet). So you do not have to replace everything all at once.

See herehttp://www.neptunes-gear.com/products/nmea-0183-to-nmea-2000-adapter for details.

More to come from this manufacturer, just waiting on some pricing and brochure links...

Matt

Been looking for just that

Got a HDS7 gen2 connected to a NMEA 2000 bus and engine interface.

Also got a furuno 585 which only has 0183

So could I use this from the 0183 on the furuno to the 2000 bus so as I can get GPS positions to the furuno and a sounder now on the HDS ?

Yes, Otto, that should be fine.

IB, sorry, not that easy! NMEA 0183 is an asynchronous serial connection. It is COMPLETELY different to NMEA 2000, and there is NO compatibility in either direction without a converter. NMEA 2000 is a CAN BUS system (CAN = Controller Area Network), varieties of which are now used in many vehicles.

There is, as yet, as far as I know, no NMEA 2000 interface for a PC/Mac to connect directly to a NMEA 2000 system without converting to 0183 first.

The NK-80 device will assist those who don't want to replace their entire boat's data systems to have full , bi-directional coms between their NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 devices.

This is a new product....There are some others (I've seen an AIS ) that have limited sentence translation between the two systems, and sometimes only in one direction

However, in the world of technology, things move really fast, and there may well be another device I don't yet know of...

Cheers

Matt

Archived