Volvo MD7B

Whiting 34

What is is exactly? There can be several options. Like oil bath or Filter for instance. Filter, just replace the filter. If oil bath, then empty the container of oil, wash and fill to level mark with fresh oil and clean the bundle of metal mesh above it with degreaser.

Thanks for the information, it is the type with a mesh inside the housing however I can't see any markings on the housing regarding oil level. I have read the manual and it really does not give any insight into maintenance of the filter.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

No this type is not an oil bath. So you clean it with Diesel or Kero and then pour some oil over the mesh stuff and let it drain. The idea is that the oil coating the surface of the mesh grabs the dust. As you can imagine, it's not the most perfect of filters. But your engine room/box tends to be a fairly dust free environment, so it's not so bad.

I don't know wheels, they are pretty crap at dust removal, even when clean.

I reckon its part of the reason why most recreational use engines don't see 3000 hrs. Took mine off and biffed it. Put on a good quality K&N filter. Engine has now done 4700 hours since rebuild....

Archived