What do you think of this for downwind.

The twizzle rig that I've heard of and looked at photos/ drawings of was a bit more than 2 headsails set out 'goosewinged'. His big thing was that the twin poles were hooked to what I'd call a lanyard or hanger on the mast instead of going directly to a normal pole fitting on the mast. The idea is that as the boat rolls, the inboard end of the poles would also move side to side and that movement actually dampened the roll of the boat. Apparently very effectively.

An analogy would be 'steering under the kite ' when the death rolls threaten. That approach but on a small scale and done automatically.

here you go.

https://archive.org/details/Downwind_ocean_sailing

Joe describes this sail as having a "very pleasant downwind ride" and it "gave me excellent boat speed" circumnavigated and "could have gone again".

So we have sail that can be made at home for around $400 that will sail well in any wind aft of the quarter thats comfortable and fast and can be handled easily single handed and is durable.

I like this!

Thanks John, yes I had watched that and its a great rig. The price of the downwind sail and the simplicity is very appealing to me and also the Viking factor!

In regards to roll dampening, I guess the downwind sail will dampen motion somewhat as long as the wind is not directly from behind. This is pretty well proven technology really.

Archived