Runaways

Try that on a really big engine and you will know what scary is. Resulting damage was pretty much everything bent or twisted and it finally stopped when the Head let go. Sounded like a bag of hammers in a tumble dryer on full speed.

maybe not as scarey as some, depending on size and brand.

A Napier Deltic runaway, terrifying ..... no other way to describe it, but a modern common-rail engine with electronic injection and electronic controls, well ..... no power, no injection period, not so scarey.

Seen a couple in my life and watching a smaller (53 series) Detroit "eat" the workshop manual is sort of impressive.

maybe not as scarey as some, depending on size and brand.

A Napier Deltic runaway, terrifying ..... no other way to describe it, but a modern common-rail engine with electronic injection and electronic controls, well ..... no power, no injection period, not so scarey.

Seen a couple in my life and watching a smaller (53 series) Detroit "eat" the workshop manual is sort of impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

I'd rethink the electronic bit

Diesels run away because they start eating oil, nothing to do with the injection. I had a fairly modern tractor do it once. Totally lunched the engine - 900 hours on it only... Bloody iveco engines!. Only way to stop them is to block the air intake - a very scary thing to do.

am not going to make this a slanging match because no one wins ..... but small point, worked on everything from 3 HP to 10,000HP engines and yes, it is my bread and butter and yes I am at sea.

Usually they run away because amongst other things people want to dick around with things like governors, oil usage comes from bad maintenance and not much else (ours vent by the way to a separate "catch system")

am not going to make this a slanging match because no one wins ..... but small point, worked on everything from 3 HP to 10,000HP engines and yes, it is my bread and butter and yes I am at sea.

Usually they run away because amongst other things people want to dick around with things like governors, oil usage comes from bad maintenance and not much else (ours vent by the way to a separate "catch system")

Quite correct that if you fiddle with something that you shouldn't, such as fuel systems, you risk a run away. But a 900 hour old engine in a tractor which was only 11 months old, which has had its 100 hour and 600 hour service done by trained mechanics most certainly did not run away due to bad maintenance!. It was caused by a failed o-ring. Or so they told me. They gave me a new engine on warranty and then the transmission promptly stripped the clutch linings so no more of that brand tractor ( or engine ) for me again!.

Mine was a perkins 3144 originally in a Bristol PD48 Trax, had the usual habit of operating it wideopen throttlewise as the flywheel was huge and took some stopping. Every now and then shut the throttle down for smoko or whatever and with a sort of pinking sound away it'd go so.........into 3rd gear and shove it into a handy bank/ cutting whatever and stall the bugger, never happened 1/2 to full throttle though . Took said perkins from trax and dumped it into a Mullet boat, rebuilt engine but on occasion it persists in taking off and luckily it is sort of on the upper limit of being able to stop by hand over air intake, funny thing is it'll start right back up after this and be fine.........until the next time

Mine was a perkins 3144 originally in a Bristol PD48 Trax, had the usual habit of operating it wideopen throttlewise as the flywheel was huge and took some stopping. Every now and then shut the throttle down for smoko or whatever and with a sort of pinking sound away it'd go so.........into 3rd gear and shove it into a handy bank/ cutting whatever and stall the bugger, never happened 1/2 to full throttle though . Took said perkins from trax and dumped it into a Mullet boat, rebuilt engine but on occasion it persists in taking off and luckily it is sort of on the upper limit of being able to stop by hand over air intake, funny thing is it'll start right back up after this and be fine.........until the next time

That is just weird!. Is there some issue in the fuel pump that makes this happen?

Usually they run away because amongst other things people want to dick around with things like governors

Bang on. This one was one of the Mechanics trying to get some more go out of the thing for a tractor pull. He was adjusting something internally while the engine was running and screwed the adjustment too far, when the governor apparently fell to bits inside and away it went.

I had a 4x4 that eat oil from the air intake and would take off with a huge cloud of black smoke belching behind it. The engine was completely worn out.

Archived