House insurance warning

In the process of changing House insurance companies ( to the new "re build" valuation policy) and thought it prudent to get a valuer to check the square metre value of this house while I checked the QVNZ and Council records.

Well bugger me. Thank god I did that. There was a variation between the original architects calcs, the council records and actual build figure measured by the valuer.

Thankfully it was in my favour but if I had insured based on council records and it burnt down I would have been short of a double garage and a bedroom in the rebuild.

Be warned. Best to check your house versus the records and get the correct insurance. Values are about $500.00 ... but bloody worth it!

That who we went with after going through the process of determining the SqM.

In rang around and they were the best policy and price (except for retaining walls)

NZ owned, and great to deal with.

Cough yes but not revealing to Council and QVNZ could give the insurance an out.

Also if the SqM is larger than first thought. That is a increase in house value ( @ between $1500- $3000 per square metre, depending on build quality)

In the interest of supporting those who support us, I've had really good service from PIC, did a lot of work in finding insurance solutions for me when other doors were closed, but still come up with competitive solutions on the easier stuff like cars. :thumbup:

Archived