I wanna sell my PT!

Guest Dry Reach
IF Only, You might find the PT's are third behind the lasers, OK's and maybe a few others.

Not many adults in Starlings apart from a few at club level.

2010 OK Dinghy Nationals = 33 NZ boats. Even less the year before. :thumbdown:

PT Nationals 46 :thumbup: (& I wasn't even there!)

PT interdoms - how many?... 20 -30?

OK worlds - 90 and held here quite a bit (which keeps interest up0

laser worlds - heeps but never in NZ

OK it is! decision made, now go do it

Fleet is invitation only and capped at 40.

Using World's numbers was hardly the point of this exercise was it??

.....but then again, you must be right!

Guest Dry Reach

Fleet is invitation only and capped at 40.

Using World's numbers was hardly the point of this exercise was it??

.....but then again, you must be right!

Did'nt say i was right but thanks for the compliment.

i was just giving data on what benefits each fleet has. And some people believe that fleets thatr have world champs in NZ are stronger because of that. (also values for these boats are typically better.

Just an oipinion PT lover

Well the posts have been a good read, but yeah, I'm looking for a good club fleet.

I'd luv to hit the nat's but when you limp going in and hobble going out, you know it's over.

I liked the comment about "straight legged laser sailing".

Is that what it takes to be competitive in that class, seriously?

Surely the old buggers (over 40's - is that old?) don't hike their guts out?

Zephyrs have caught my eye in the past. But they seem as rare as hen's teeth, and to be honest, quite pricey. You could get a new laser for what they were asking, admittedly they looked in pristine condition.

I grew up in hard-chined dinghies, and that has stuck.

There's something about them that makes sense - must be a 70's thing!

But the Zephyr will still be the same money you paid for it in 10 years time if cared for.

How much is a 10 year old lazer worth?

1/2 ,1/4 new price?

Hey Slacko,

How much would you spend over 10 years keeping a beautiful timber boat on the water?

Just the hull, nothing else?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed maintaining every boat I've owned, whatever the build.

But would you spend the same amount on a glass hull?

I doubt it, which means the money saved on maintenance could be used for a new/newer boat.

Where do glass boats go when they have been cast out?

Surely the old buggers (over 40's - is that old?) don't hike their guts out?

They do if they want to beat the other old bugger that doesn't want to be beaten and is therefore hiking his guts out.

How much you want for the PT and what stuff does it have with it?

I'm no dinghy sailor, but would the cost of maintenance be more than the depreciation?

I guess it comes down to whether you are into looking after a classic, or just want to splash and race each week.

I think the high purchase price for a Zephyr must be there due to desirability as well.

Supply and demand.

We lose one of our race crew in 2 weeks to racing her Zephyr on Saturdays.

Guest Rocket

You got it Twitchy - even the kids in the laser hike hard for 2 minutes then start looking around to work out when they can ease up. No-one can hike hard out for a whole beat - Andrew Murdoch gets closest!

The jelly bellies hike hard and hope it will be only 1 minute before they have rolled the boat to leeward or squeezed the dude above them out. Any longer and it starts getting hard....

I have a lot of respect for the guys in the zephyrs, but I think the only reason the price is high is because they've spent waay too much money to sell them cheap... I also think you'll find it a big step down from the PT as you really don't get much boat for your money with a zephyr. However, if you just want a fleet to race in, it may still be a good bet.

I have heard of people doing their backs in in the laser, but that seems rare. There seems to be a big enough fleet at manly with sailors right across the spectrum - there is still competition at a level well below where the top guys are at.

Otherwise, instead of trying to rebuild the PT fleet, you could help us build numbers in the 3.7's. Provided you have a harness that fits well, you will find that your back is well supported and you can even relax upwind. It is definitely a class that rewards sailing skill over physical fitness and the old guys (in their 60's) often teach us young-guns a lesson when the wind gets up. Plus, the fact you've been sailing a PT means you should be able to pick up 3.7 sailing pretty quickly.

The only issue I see with the 3.7 is that it may not be what you are looking for if you want a big fleet: We usually have 3 every weekend at Manly, plus another 3 or 4 who turn up on occasion when they find time. There is also a little bit of sailing at Pt Chev and Takapuna. (and a huuuge fleet in Hamilton)

However, I do know of 2 guys who bought boats last season and are doing them up ready to sail at manly next season, and there is a bit of interest with people talking about building boats (j.harkin!) so I'm convinced the class will grow from here.

I think it really comes down to where you live and what boats are sailed locally.

If you want a big fleet you'll have to hike and the harder you hike the faster you'll go. I'm sure that whatever you choose you'll find someone who is at a similar level of fitness to race against.

Hey blackensign,

I appreciate your comments about the Zephyr, and I agree with you.

I've been waiting for someone to suggest a 3.7, beautiful boat in my humble opinion.

Hard chine by Farr, brilliant!

I remember a decent number turning up at the Auckland champs 2 or 3 years ago.

But as you say, if I'm looking for a class with numbers at club level, sadly in Auckland it appears there's not much choice.

We had 4 at manly today...

Last season quite a few turned up for Auckland Champs, but I can't find the results anywhere so can't tell you how many. I can tell you there were 9 at Takapuna for North Shore Champs, and 16 for our Tauranga regatta. (Hamilton's fleet turned up...)

Come to think about it, there are a lot of active 3.7 sailors in Auckland, it's just that a few of the top guys are also involved in sailing moths, etchells, etc, and aren't available every weekend for 3.7 sailing... It's more about getting a group together in one place at the same time, and at the moment Manly is the best for it.

They are the best bang for buck of any dinghy. We have a guy here at Manly who bought a 3.7 last season to sail on non-laser days, but then couldn't bare stepping back down so the laser got sold!

Like I said before, it just comes down to where you are and what sort of sailing you want to do.

What's the weight range for 3.7 sailors?

At 83 kg I was too heavy to be totally competitive in all conditions.

That being said I got 2x 2nds a 3rd and a 4th in the Nationals at that weight.

In those 4 years the Nationals were won by skippers weighing 65kg, 70kg and 72 kg.

at around 65kg John Clinton was still quite fast in a breeze but totally devastating offwind in all conditions.

Realistically why would you want to sail a laser it just sounds like hard work and no fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.7 Yeah they are a cool boat but the guys are just getting lighter that sail them a consistantly win look at Desie and Brownie like weight dudes but fly and good yachties to which helps

Cheers

A laser and a gymn membership as a package....

Even fighting fit I'll never get under 100-105kg, got down to 103 a few years back when I was going to Tae Kwon Do tournaments and was in pretty good nick then.

Archived