I wanna sell my PT!

Ork's (I mean Auckland's) fleet has dwindled - and I'm reminiscing about larger fleets (more than 6?) and a decent club environment, any suggestions?

Cheers boys n girls

Guest Dry Reach

Sorry 2>1 but NZ don't do many one design fleets over 10 boats anymore!... but the booze culture is thriving well!

PT's are about as good as it gets along with Y88's, sunbursts and OK's. (national fleet level)

If you want decent monotype racing at a local/club, national (and international) level, pick up an ok dinghy and come sailing at wakatere bc in ork.

we have sucessful sailors between 75 and 120kgs with the right gear, and successful sailors from teenagers to 65 years of age in the class, set up properly they cater for most.

www.okdinghy.co.nz

Instead of selling your PT and running away from a problem, why don't you get active and get others to turn up at your club?

Be involved with making a decent club enviorment and reinvigorating the fleet in your area.

Nationally this is one of the best fleets you will find.

Become part of the solution.

Guest Dry Reach
Instead of selling your PT and running away from a problem, why don't you get active and get others to turn up at your club?

Be involved with making a decent club enviorment and reinvigorating the fleet in your area.

Nationally this is one of the best fleets you will find.

Become part of the solution.

Come on! :wink: don't be silly :wink: it's easier to sell and buy another problem! :crazy: :wink:

or even better (and what many clubs / people do)... introduce another class to solve the problem :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

What was the last locally designed dingy that has evolved into a decent class in NZ?...

sunburst?, R Class?,

where are our dingy designers? or do we just follow overseas trends? and thin out / reduce our fleets?

I know what you mean about PT's in Auckland.

It was about 2 years ago when I started looking at getting a dinghy for fun. I wanted something that would be good to just go for a sail on with the ability to also do some racing. I also wanted something that you can take a kid or 2 on. The PT was on my list but it seemed there was not much support up here for the class. It is a shame but it seems to me that the cat scene is only active at the top end of performace designs which kind of puts off newcomers, so for now I am happy with the Jollyboat, it is teaching me a lot about sailing. Someday I hope to have a go at a multi tho.

Nationally the PT fleet is as strong as ever and is the biggest single handed adult class in NZ after the Lasers.

For PT sailing in Auckland contact Mark Bell, 09 480 7636. He's the association rep for Auckland. Howick Sailing Club still had at least 6 racing back in May.

Guest Dry Reach

IF Only, You might find the PT's are third behind the lasers, OK's and maybe a few others.

IE - Starlings, Splash?. (what age is a adult these days?)

There is a good fleet of Starlings but I'm not sure you would consider them an adult class. The ideal weight is 60 ish kilos and generally max out at 75kgs. They are mostly sailed by young teenagers. Some of the girls sail them for longer but the guys generally weigh out early on.

The Splashes don't have any where the numbers of the Starling class .....

Why not a laser?

Laser racing provides the closest racing and biggest fleets to be found.

Come join us!

I actually put off sailing a laser myself as they seemed a soul-less overgrown surfboard but the fun factor is just huge.

Another plus is they must be the fastest boat to rig/derig available.

Thanks for the replies,

thought I'd get a few > be pro-active < ones.

problem is, quite a few PT sailors here don't bother with club racing, just the regional/national regatta's. which is fine for them, but I'm the opposite. my damaged body (gotta stop getting hit by cars) can only cope with club racing.

I've been thinking of a laser, the OK is probably my second choice, I think a laser would be easier on the body.

But has anyone sailed both and willing to share their experience?

Lasers are hard work, as you have to hike flat across the water. Hard on thighs, Abs and back. Great boats to race, but expect a good workout in 15kn+, depending on your weight. Raced them on and off for years, and loved them, but I would embark on a serious Gym campaign before I would race them again!! :D :D .

Not sure on OKs as I have never sailed one. Perhaps marginally easier?

Agreed the laser does reward fitness/ strength, which does provide great motivation to work on your fitness as you get older.

Altho hi levels of fitness are not needed for club level sailing. I have had chronic back problems over the years but so far have managed 4 seasons in the laser - I switch to radial rig when the wind gets up which is better balanced and easier to enjoy.

imho they are fairly easy to sail, but hard to sail well. I have sailed javelins - finns - sunbursts - as well as many keel boats (incl maxi's back in the 80's). Laser does not have quite the nice tracking feel of a finn/ok but makes up for it in other ways. If there was an ok fleet locally I would also have considered that. However do like the one design nature of the laser.

Not everyone may be aware (altho everyone reading on this forum probably is) the controls were upgraded several year ago, so all controls are easily modified while sailing in all wind strengths - unlike in the original lasers. If you are looking at second hand older boats, do make sure it has these ugraded controls - known as the 'turbo kit'.

Another good thing about the laser is the strong masters level competition (regional/national/worlds).

Guest Dry Reach
Agreed the laser does reward fitness/ strength, which does provide great motivation to work on your fitness as you get older.

Altho hi levels of fitness are not needed for club level sailing. I have had chronic back problems over the years but so far have managed 4 seasons in the laser - I switch to radial rig when the wind gets up which is better balanced and easier to enjoy.

imho they are fairly easy to sail, but hard to sail well. I have sailed javelins - finns - sunbursts - as well as many keel boats (incl maxi's back in the 80's). Laser does not have quite the nice tracking feel of a finn/ok but makes up for it in other ways. If there was an ok fleet locally I would also have considered that. However do like the one design nature of the laser.

Not everyone may be aware (altho everyone reading on this forum probably is) the controls were upgraded several year ago, so all controls are easily modified while sailing in all wind strengths - unlike in the original lasers. If you are looking at second hand older boats, do make sure it has these ugraded controls - known as the 'turbo kit'.

Another good thing about the laser is the strong masters level competition (regional/national/worlds).

Lasers have good racing as do ok'S

ok'S are better on the body and more technical. OK's can get expensive with the equip updates to remain competitive. but Lasers are very expensive for what you get.

OK's sailors are a better bunch of guys, very organised and more intelligent (for after race conversations), but god they a butt ugly! :wink:

Laser sailors have better fitness (due to the hard farking work hiking staright legged all the furkin time) and are probably tactically superior due to very little technical difference between boats (Boat speed variance is less).

But OK's are the way to go. AsT LEAST THEY HAVE A WORLD CHAMPS HERE EVERY SO OFTEN AND THEY HAVE A WELL ORGANISED FLEET MANAGEMENT. (VERY LITTLE ynz INFLUENCE)

Yes the new price of Laser gear is high for what you get, altho Lasers do come up reguarly at good second hand prices, as does little used or new gear.

Altho I would be equally happy to be in an ok fleet (if there was one locally) and that is the main issue for me. Just want to go down the local club for regular competitive racing. Using the local fleet as a starting point greatly simplifies my decision.

Sailing in a fleet of 2-3 boats does not provide exciting racing worth the trouble (the point of this thread of course). As to whether to try and build your fleet or switch classes.... not sure, sheez it can take a long time to build up a fleet, and there is a certain amount of luck involved, but if you have the interest/stamina for the build challenge and love sailing the class you are in why not try and build the fleet first.

However if your objective is to potentially go to large national regattas with 50 boats in the startline (not everyones intention), you need to choose a suitable national class in the first place of course.

IF Only, You might find the PT's are third behind the lasers, OK's and maybe a few others.

Not many adults in Starlings apart from a few at club level.

2010 OK Dinghy Nationals = 33 NZ boats. Even less the year before. :thumbdown:

PT Nationals 46 :thumbup: (& I wasn't even there!)

Archived