fairleads for mooring lines

We got back from our little cruise around Wiaheke over the weekend and had a bit of a fright when we went to moor on our poles in the Wairoa River (Clevedon).

The mooring line at the bow had been chaffing on the bottom (deck) bracket of the furler and it had been chomped through about halfway…

The bow is pretty crowded with (front to back) anchor and bracket, furler deck fitting, mooring cleat and then anchor winch, all in a line on the centerline of the deck.  We have been running a single mooring line from the pole across all of this to the cleat (sheepish look at the floor as the dumb-ness of this sinks in).

As a stickplaster fix, we fitted a length of PE piping over hte mooring line at the chaffe point.  I slept ok last night, but I am worried about the medium term!

We obviously need to move the mooring line away from the mess of various abrasion hazards, so I am thinking a fairlead on or in the toerail each side of the mooring cleat.  We would then go to a two-line mooring set-up ie port and starboard lines.

Stepping Out is 10m, around 3.75 ton displacement according to numbers carved into her.  The Wairoa flows pretty strongly on the tide, possibly 2-3kt.

I’m looking for advice – how substantial should I go on the hardware?  Should the failead be sunk or cut into the toe rail? Links to appropriate equipment would be appreciated!

13 hours ago, It Got said:

One more tuck to comply with BS...not that the BS exists any longer but it is a good well proven standard to use on older school strings like laid nylon and polyester.

Good thing I haven't cut the tails yet eh!

Its too bloody hard on the hands for full time work for an old fella, but good fun as an amateur.  I've got to put a mid-line eye in one of them so that will be a real test!

Mounting blocks cut out of some unidentified hardwood, fairleads procured to take 18mm lines, now the weekend to fit them.

I'm proposing to shape, then epoxy glue and screw the blocks to the deck and toerail inside, then cove, then paint   feel free to correct me.

It's freaking hard work this sailing lark...

16027947550378587374482065153757.jpg