SSB and RF problems with Autopilot

Island Time

Today I fitted the new RF300 Simrad rudder transducer. It is the shielded model with the code "FA" between the part no and serial number. The issue with RF interfering with the autopilot is solved!!!

Thanks for your help wheels!

Cheers

Matt

Some people do. I don't. I try to keep the Radio ground (counterpoise) and DC ground seperate. RF grounds need copper strap. It is a good idea the break the strap - a 10mm gap, and bridge the gap with ceramic disk capacators. This allows the RF ground, but breaks any DC ground loops you may have made, and isolates the plate to help avoid electrolysis....

Also, with a glass hull, you can have the plate inside the Hull, not touching the water. The Plate will still couple to the Water(ground) via capacitance. That then allows you do not have to worry about bonding and as IT said, you only have to connect to the Earth of the ATU.

This thread is fascinating, and like others have said, very valuable.

I am interested though, with my project managers hat on, and not the highly knowlegable techo hat, how much would have been in time and cost to use a sat phone for the race and not fixed the RF interfence problem? Many variables to consider, not least the desire to fix an annoying problem... I have been surprised at the (low) cost of renting sat phones, esp for data usage, being PC forecast downloads and email position reports. Only problem is cost of voice calls, and the fleet don't get to listen in (that can be a good thing :) )

Good luck for the race, its definatley a proper one :thumbup:

Good point. I guess the first question (and I don't know the answer) would a Satphone be allowed for Cat1 in place oif an SSB?

I think it is a case of technology outpacing the rules and the Rule makers need to keep abreast and be ready to change the rules as fast as technology changes. Something that doesn't always seem to happen.

By the way, yes renting is quite affordable, but even buying if not so bad these days. And the money you spend on an SSB system is now probably more than buying your own Satphone. Coupled with the fact that in a worse case scenario of losing the rig, you lose the best part of the communication system. The spare Wip antenna is never as good as the length and height of a backstay.

Archived