Jump to content


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About johnMi

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Yes, a brilliant race, a bit of everything. It was great from the start under kite to North Head, except for the fact that we were being covered by all the big monos so we couldn't really hit our stride. We peeled to the screacher and headed off with Tigre nipping at our heels all the way to Leigh, sitting in the high teens all the way (max speed 20.2 knots). Then things went awry. From there to Whangarei heads the winds could be 100 degrees variation and anything from 0 to 18 knots. PlanB passed us both and we then match raced them for the next hour. At Whangarei heads the NNW came in a solid 15 to 18 knots and very lumpy seas. The boat took off sitting nicely on 7 to 9 knots, but every 30s or so the boat would go thru the waves rather than over and with all the crew needed near the bow to keep it down it was going to be another 6 to 7 hrs like this. We decided to pull out. I was really impressed with Sledge, and it wasn't her performance that caused us to pull out. She was pointing as high and going as fast as the monos around us. 20 yrs younger and I would have kept at it. It was nice to put her on the trailer at Marsden cove on Saturday and tow her home. Definitely an enjoyable race even if we didn't finish.
  2. think it cost me $75 when the same thing happened to me
  3. I thought I would just give you a bit of an insight into the race from 'Sledges' perspective. The Crew consisted of me, Dean Williamson (owner of Hurts) and Grant Williams a fellow member of BOPTYS. The start was VERY light with us, Vodafone and Superbird to cruz taking off in the Multi Division. For the 1st time in my life after about 20min of sailing we were actually ahead of vodafone for a (very) short period of time. We seemed to drift down the harbour pretty efficiently, battling our mainsail most of the way (Top battens wouldn't pop through with no wind). We followed Vodafone up to Rangi Light and only then were we overtaken by V5. I think Vodafone realised a new race record was not going to be achieved so they pulled out about 2 hrs into the race. We were only about 300 metres behind them at this stage. Once the wind got over 5 knots we pulled out the jib and stored the code 0. We sailed to Channel Is for the rest of the daylight hours in less than 10 knots. The weather was beautiful and we were visited frequently by dolphins. We were 19th around Channel Island. As night fell and we were around Channel Island, we set the genniker and enjoyed a beautiful sail with a full moon, and a nice (warm) breeze. Because we expected to sail at hotter angles than the monos, we decided to sail outside the Mercs, which gave us a good breeze all the way down the coast, getting some good double figure no's on the log. By Slipper Island we had worked our way to 6th. At about Slipper (I think) we swapped to a code 0, where the wind increased a little bit so we were sailing at about 14 knots at times. The seas started to get quite lumpy for some reason and I was concerned with the slamming and bashing so we went to the jib. About Waihi we went back to the Code 0 and crossed the line about 8.00 am. We finished 6th. Unfortunately sometime during the day Superbird to Cruise was hit with a bullet of wind that flipped her, so we ended up being the sole finisher in the Multi division.
  4. The weather could be quite good i think
  5. By the way, I am looking for another crew member, any one with a bit of experience on a multi would be welcome
  6. An enlightening Article, let's hope it's true that the sports media are barking up the wrong tree
  7. I reckon Deans being screwed unfairly here. Maybe he needs to step aside, but he has been loyal to NZ (at a time that everyone else was out for themselves) and should be treated fairly Who from the TNZ heirarchy leaked this. I hope if Dean is scrapped, he takes TNZ with him.
  8. I'm seriously thinking of doing it, need to find a crew.
  9. I'll go with that, a Irish Dutch Auction. The maximum price is what it is now, the minimum what someone buys it for. You don't place a bid, you purchase it at the advertised price Tell me when you want it and it'll be yours
  10. johnMi


    maybe I should just pack up PE and we do it in her, set up some rowing machines on each ama... nothing to loose
  • Create New...