furlex question

Terry B

Need (yet again) guru advice!!! It's a dumb question, please humour an old man. I know nothing about these beasties.

See attached piccie of the furlex on my yacht.

I decided to grease it the other day, and I have instructions for how to do this (but not drawings/instructions etc of the furlex itself).

The instructions said to remove the screw (where the red arrow points) and squeeze grease in the hole. With very little pressure on it the screw head broke off. Sods law. It's a plastic screw of some kind. The head now resides among my screwdrivers in the murky depths of Westhaven.

So, I thought to myself, I'll remove the sleeve, take out the remaining shank of the screw etc etc.

Then, (I thought again - that was 2 thoughts in 2 minutes!!!), if I unscrew the big screw in the red square (along with the one on the other side) will the furlex fall apart, springs leap out to join the screwdrivers and screw head, mast fall down and boat sink. :crazy:

So, gurus, is this sleeve (don't know what else to call it) okay to unscrew?

And you know what the follow up Qs will be........... how the hell do I get a plastic screw out??? And if I do, where the hell would I find a replacement??

I look forward to your collective wisdom.

small.jpg

Hi Terry,

The fore stay passes right thru the drum, so no chance of the mast falling down! You can remove that screw - from memory it locks the alloy foil into the top of the drum. However, to really get it all apart, you should download the manual for your model.....

Someone here probably has recent knowledge of these an will be able to help more...

Terry try Sailutions ( top right add)

They are the agents and always very helpful

They will have/be able to get parts and can tell you how to download manual.

The guy at Sailutions was very helpful and knowledgable. So thanks guys, for the pointer to visit them.

Unfortunately, my furlex is so old they no longer make parts for it - they stopped manufacturing my model over 20 years ago!! :wtf:

But he had great ideas for me to try - and cool info on getting longevity out of it.

Just thought I'd let you guys know - credit where credits due etc..........

Archived