depth sounder transducers

heard about "shoot through" method of mounting a depth transducer where it fixes to the inside face of a glass hull and transmits through the glass just fine, have a glass H28 ( and was wondering about mounting transducer in the deep bilge behind the ballast in the keel in the hope it'd work near vertical and do away with the biggish angle block it's mounted to now to get vertical, anyone else done this or is there another way?

Had one in my trailer yacht that work like a charm, a good way to test the location is to make a puddle of water to sit it in before drying and bonding to the hull, air bubbles can cause erratic readings I just used resin for mine.

Resin is the best. It needs to be hard to transmit sound the most efficiently. You can still angle the transducer straight down if you want. Be aware of the Keel. You need to be at least 1m away from the keel, 1.5m is better. Otherwise you can get a false reading from a bounce off the keel. That's the reason why they tend to be mounted out on the Hull away from the Keel.

Another way of doing it is to build a box. Mount the transducer through the lid of the box and fill the box full with Castor oil or some kind of light oil. Then screw the lid down to seal it.

Resin is the best. It needs to be hard to transmit sound the most efficiently. You can still angle the transducer straight down if you want. Be aware of the Keel. You need to be at least 1m away from the keel, 1.5m is better. Otherwise you can get a false reading from a bounce off the keel. That's the reason why they tend to be mounted out on the Hull away from the Keel.

Another way of doing it is to build a box. Mount the transducer through the lid of the box and fill the box full with Castor oil or some kind of light oil. Then screw the lid down to seal it.

box with oil sounds a go, being longkeeled, shouldn't really have to worry keelwise as the bottom of the bilge is also the bottom of the ballast

Archived