Old Fosters furler halyard car

Pelagic Mountie

Hi there

I've got a Davidson 28 with an old Fosters headsail roller furler. All my sails are pretty old and tired and I'm looking into a new headsail first. The furler doesn't have a halyard car/swivel at the head and instead the halyard goes through a sheave at the top of the foil and back down the luff to tie off at the furler drum. I'm trying to decide what to do with this before I order a sail. The furler works fine, but I don't like the halyard setup as it's a pain for sail changes, and halyard tension compresses the foil making it bend.

Does anyone know if you can get a halyard car for these or have one manufactured? Then I could use the in-mast headsail halyard. A new furler seems to be over $2k and I'd rather spend the money on sails. Also considering getting rid of it all together and going to hanks.

Cheers

Ok, the issue will be matching or approximating the foil dimensions, and then finding a halyard swivel that fits or can be made to fit.

The Agent is NZ rigging, (see the add alongside this forum). Call them, and ask for Bart. He should be able to come up with a solution! :D

PS don't forget to tell him you got this info from Crew.org!! Helps us if the Advertisers know the contacts came from here...

Also, if you can't get the right car, but you can get one a bit larger, you should be able to have an acetal bush made up to fit...

Bevan, You might be able to retrofit an old headswivel to work. Might just be a case of making some packers for it. I bet Mike McCormick has a bunch of old bits in his workshop down there.

bit pointless really as this style has no bottom swivel/thrust arrangement and by the time you get your head round that end along with the head fitting you'd be better off buying either new or very near new 2nd hand

Rail meat, no, it looks like no swivel was ever made/designed to fit this and to have one made/adapted would be expensive and possibly prone to trouble (if even possible). Also, as L4 says, the whole unit just sits on the forestay by gravity so you'd need to work out a way to fix the drum down and therefore the tack, in order to be able to use a halyard via the mast.

L4, I'm in the market for a second hand unit then if you know of one, otherwise I'm just going to run with what I've got and be happy :) Other things to spend money on, like old standing rigging, running rigging... and sails.

Thanks for your help guys.

Archived