Shameless Plug for North Sails Auckland

Island Time

In about 2009, I got Booboo, from North's in Auckland,to make me a new Genoa. It's a cruise laminate, roller furling. It was a great improvement over it's predecessor, which was old, Dacron, and knackered. So, I was very happy with this sail. It had some "new" (at that stage) UV paint on the leech instead of the more familar UV strip. Lighter, better etc.

Well, things progressed and we took Island Time offshore. The sail had seen some use before we left, but was in very good condition. However, by the time we got to Thailand, the leech was coming apart. This was partly due to wear (that sail had not been off the boat since leaving NZ), and partly due to a breakdown of the UV paint. I manged at this stage to put a spreader end through it's leech. So, being a LONG way from a Norths loft, (as far as I knew - turns out their is a local agent in Phuket) I took it to Rolly Tasker Sails, who patched it, and added a more conventional UV strip. I took it back to the boat, and put it back on. It was awful! A great big crease in the leech! I guess the UV was to heavy, but little I could do about it.

Then, a couple of weeks later, Booboo was in Phuket for the Kings Cup. He arranged for the sail to be repaired by Norths in Hong Kong, which it was. When it came back, it was way better, but still not great. Anyway, off we went again, eventually arriving back in NZ.

At this stage, remember the sail has now done over 20,000 miles. The cloth still looks pretty good, except near the leech, where the UV strip is really what's holding it together. The Leech crease is really bad now. It seemed a shame to have to replace a sail that had no delamination, just a couple of panels in the leech causing issues.

Booboo again to the rescue! He came and had a look at it here in Gulf Harbour the other day, and took it away. It was returned about a week later, with 2 new panels in the leech, and new UV protection. I put it back on the boat, and it looked good, but it was dead calm, so I could not really see the shape properly. Over the weekend I went out. Booboo and North's Auckland have done a great job!! The leech problem is now almost perfectly gone, with a nice, straight exit, and once again I have a good looking sail! I think maybe 95% of when it was new.

I just wanted to post this as a thank you, and to say how much I appreciate dealing with a company with really knowledgeable staff who stand behind their products! :D

Now, I just need to save some $$ for that new main.....

Sounds about right! :D :D

Like IT, I have had nothing but professional service above and beyond reasonable from the North boys with Booboo leading the charge. Great team. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not surprised at all IT, and can only back up your plug!

Yep Norths have been great. Nice sail well priced and fully serviced following the completion of theRNI. I say Norths but it's Josh who I deal with too.

Archived