Outboard mounting

chic014

Hi All,

Installed new Yamaha 9.9hp long shaft four stroke on boat at the weekend as per photo.

Small problem is that I can only get down to the second to last click position, as the primary hinge pin interferes with the bracket when the bracket tries to go below horizontal. Hinge pin is wider than bracket.

Bracket is supposedly rated for 25hp and 50kg. Smaller 10hp bracket has only one arm, so would work but it doesn't seem right to have such a huge motor on such a small bracket.

Any other ideas? Not 100 sure what depth i am achieving at the moment but I think reccomended should be cavitation plate more than 50mm below water level. Correct? Going over small wakes in test trial were meaning prop was coming out of water slightly and over revving.

Any ideas appreciated.

So the outboard hinge bolt is wider than the bracket?

You would try mount the outboard 20-50mm higher and it might give the clearance required. Easy to try and then make up a spacer once the right dimension is found.

Or try and move it rearwards on the wooden block by adding some more wood to the block to make it thicker.

OK will try and get a better photo of it down.

Lifting up could work. Sacrifice a little bit of depth to get a lot of depth from the angle advantage. Will investigate.

Thanks for the tips

Archived