Polystyrene boats

Guest Dry Reach
some guys I know use poly for making 1m yachts

cut the poly to shape and bit of plaster to fear then glass

when the glass is cured put some solent inside , clean out the poly and plaster

easy :thumbup:

What i made was a hull / windurfer, that used polystyrene to form the shape, put when seperated and the poly removed, then joined the hull and deck (could be cabin as well) we ended up with a hull of equal quality to a female moulded boat.

We used to do the "Solvent to dissolve the poly out" trick but was to messy. Thats why we developed this system! It gave us hollow light and fast hulls!

Wheels, The glass lamination differences between a windsurfer hull and a bigger boat makes no difference! as long as the laminate design is correct it is eaiser to use this method than the conventional two mould setup.

In fact with new CNC machining techniques they are doing just this in europe with HD100 foam as a complete yacht blank!

They have machined a foam blank for a 40 footer with less than 1mm accuracy over the whole surface.

Guest Dry Reach

And wallah!

I suspect you mean "voila"

Its French. Used to indicate something has appeared as if by magic.

No, Wallah as in the Indian word (hindi & urdu) with a definition - a person associated with a function and result. or many other derivations within Hindu (sanscrit piparti) Walla, Wala, Wal'la...

But also playing on the word "viola" as well. (slanged out to the max)

Who :?:

She was a Go Go girl, as in the group The Go Go's. Before that a member of The Germs, a punk outfit. The drummer I think from hazy memory. In her own right she put out 6-8 albums over a dozen or so years starting mid 80's. You will know some of her songs if you heard them, there's no way you couldn't. A few No.1's and quite a lot got into the top 10 on the charts. Voila is one of her later albums and had some Brian Eno action in it. Knot one of her best though.

The Go Go's were the first ever all female group that wrote and performed their own songs to score a No 1 in the charts. One of the 1st groups of the 'new wave' era.

And as she was ugly she also did something else at the age of 44 (there abouts) -

When your into a bit of punk action and have a bod that is graded A1, some kiwi teenagers take notice ;)

post-646-141887162459.jpg

From wiktionary

From Hindi -wālā 'man, person in charge', from Sanskrit pāla 'protector'

NounSingular

wallah

Plural

wallahs

wallah (plural wallahs)

1.(India) A servant or other person responsible for something, often specified after it, for example kitchen wallah.

1931 - Kindly take one of my cigarettes, sir. Do you not admire my new silver case, sir? From the boxwallah, two rupees eight annas. - A Hanging, George Orwell

2.(UK, slang) A guy or bloke.

Derived termspunkahwallah

Etymology 2Perhaps from Arabic "wallah" meaning "by God".

Interjectionwallah!

1.Possibly Common misspelling of voilà.

Belinda Carlile eh... God I hate the '80's.

Well .. I shall tell you the story of a man who made a polystyrene boat. Now this man who I will not name but whose name rhymes with mug and is similar what you might have done with a spade but isn't dig, this guy decided one year that he'd make a dinghy from a giant block of polystyrene.

It lacked many concessions to the principals of hydrodynamics but did have a vaguely pointed bow and a slightly hollowed out interior. He painted it with latex fence paint in a hue similar to wood.. brown...., and somehow ( I have no idea how) he managed rowlocks and a means of attaching an outboard.

Apart from the fact that he wasn't actually very welcome owing to the fact that the thing was a pig ugly disgusting thing that you wouldn't want anyone to see attached by painter or any other method to your own boat no matter what, it did actually function.

Until.... yes I'm sorry to say.. until the day he refueled the suzuki and spilled some gas........

the biggest issue with polystyrene when you get into bigger boats is that as a core it doesn't stay stuck to itself. It could be as simple as a dinghy or dock rub and you have core shear. Then as the boat starts to loose it's structure and move more the worse it gets.

Try it next time you buy an elctrical appiance. Snap a bit then rub it together.

As Mr Wolf said they newer foams are far better than polystyrene and a usually cross linked

Guest Dry Reach
the biggest issue with polystyrene when you get into bigger boats is that as a core it doesn't stay stuck to itself. It could be as simple as a dinghy or dock rub and you have core shear. Then as the boat starts to loose it's structure and move more the worse it gets.

Try it next time you buy an elctrical appiance. Snap a bit then rub it together.

As Mr Wolf said they newer foams are far better than polystyrene and a usually cross linked

all that and its...

hard to stick too!

hates solvents Thus only solventless epoxys will work with it!

and absorbs water like theres no tommorow!

Good for cheap moulds!.. just shape it, Tape it (packing tape), and glass it!... easy!

Archived