RCD on boat in westhaven

Just checked the Westhaven website - http://www.westhaven.co.nz/westhaven/using-the-marina/electrical-connections/

Looks like things have not changed and we don;t need an EWOF for the boat when the boat has no electrics:

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/getmedia/b51f3cee-0990-4d36-b257-44ccd438161c/Extra-information-about-EWOFs.pdf/

Having seen a boat burn due to a faulty dehummer I would rather have an RCD and not lose my boat.

Clive, that is how I read the regs.
Here they want $450 for the rcd and socket board, which they then want attached to the boat, and the lead hard wired to the board.
If the board is attached to the boat (screwed in) then it is considered a 230v system, and is eligible for a ewof. (more expense)
For less than $450 I've bought a new 140w flexible solar panel to replace the old one on the Bimini. That should be sufficient without shore power....

IT, how much was the flexi solar panel? Any other details?

Being on a mooring, its beyond me what you are all on about eWoF's for (i.e. hasn't occurred to me what I'd use shore power for), but wouldn't mind upgrading our solar charging system, perhaps then I could leave the fridge running so its cold when I get to the boat...

Gulf Harbour are being stupid now. You cannot get an EWOF for the circuit that you described. (Board with an RCD and outlet). You can get a tag for the lead, and that is all. To qualify for an EWOF, you need other things like:

• All metal components on the boat to be connected to a central earthing point.
  • All above connections less than 0.5 Ohms resistance to said earth.
  • MEN connection, which means you will require a galvanic isolator or isolating transformer.
  • Fully tested RCDs using proper test gear ($1000 meter).
  • Full insulation test between DC and AC system. (Megger)

It's all in AS/NZS 3004.2

If you don't know what the flock you are talking about, then it's best not to implement regulations like this. I suggest they buy a copy of the standard and have a read.. Any Sparky that is giving an EWOF to a board with a lead, plug and RCD is guilty of fraud in my view.

Smithy, that info was from Clive Cork, electrical inspector, on behalf of the Gulf Harbour marine village body Corp.

BP, panel dimensions are (from memory!) 1.4mx0.56m 3mm thick.

Smithy, that info was from Clive Cork, electrical inspector, on behalf of the Gulf Harbour marine village body Corp.

BP, panel dimensions are (from memory!) 1.4mx0.56m 3mm thick.

Maybe he's not a very informed electrical inspector. I'll see if I can scan the section of the standard and post it. To have an EWOF you have to be fully earthed. I take that to mean rails, mast, keel, the lot.

Taken from the standard:

"Earthing of a distribution system is to be effected by means independent of the earthing arrangements or non current carrying parts and is to be connected to the hull or to the earth plat at one point only." And....

Equipotential bond: "Electrical connections intended to bring exposed conductive parts or extranious conductive parts to the same or approximately the same potential, but not intended to carry current in normal service"

This means that the mast, boom, guardrails, pushpit and pulpit need to be bonded to an external earth point on the hull. If he is not testing this, then the boat does not comply and the EWOF is invalid. There is a lot more besides. To give a boat an EWOF, the DC system also needs to comply. can of worms? You better believe it.

The extenion lead and battery charger/dehumiifier/power tools should be treated the same as in any factory or public area. They should be tested with a PAT tester and the lead tested. What's more, you don't even need full registration to carry out this testing!! The sparkies that are preying on boaties in Marinas should be very careful here.....

My first question to the marina, or the inspector would be "Please show me a copy of the standard you are referring to".... The one that applies is AS/NZS 3004.2