Jim Beam's nearly there.....

piebuss

Still sitting down in Whiti :) Had to tie the tarp down tight recently cause of the weather..

Marshy ya twat, if I'd listened to you it would have been firewood ages ago...

Re the carbon, not quite sure what you're talking about eh... :?

I didn't cast it but you could probably do that yourself. That cost about $400 from memory.

I had to get extra lead to bring it up to the class legal weight, that cost about $300 at $2 per kilo I think. Makes you wonder how many boats are actually class legal, considering Jim was pretty stiff..

The wood I got from a place down south called Mac Direct. Great place if you wana get rough sawn Macracapa. That cost about $200 but I've still got some left over and a lot of it was used elsewhere in the project, so you would only need to spend about $150 on that.

The bolts were about $300 for three. They are well oversize, but I'm no engineener so I figured go big, it's only extra righting moment, and peace of mind.

The glue I got for free, but it's not cheap stuff to buy. I've got no idea how much I used.

Microballoons I got off a boat builder for $40 who was closing up shop. They have lasted me two rebuilds now and there's a ton more, so that was a bloody good deal..

Glass will be about $40.

Mate, the biggest cost for you is going to be buying enough lead to get up to weight....

It would be interesting to see how many boats actualy measure regarding keel weight.

I have suspicion that ours doesnt come close to class legal.

not going to do anything about it though we are getting the hang of sailing it finaly and the windex does need the occaisonal wash :thumbup:

concrete is pretty cheap though :P

Would be interesting to see how te fleet weighs up. I have a feeling I read in an old set of rules that the one type of keels had to carry corrector weights in the bow and stern. Any old boys floating around crew care to comment?

Maybe we should organise the little crane that the etchells and sail ability use at westhaven with Smithys Load Cell and weigh as many piedys as we can.

It might open up a can of worms that don't need to be opened though as ANY Piedy sailed well can be competitive. When we were racing the Damp (Modern Piedy) hard, our main competition was Loose unit (one of the very first piedys but very well modernised), Uno Extemeo (a middle aged piedy with concrete keel), Motamouse (modern piedy), Rat Attack (middle aged piedy with a brick for a keel and powerpole for a mast).

Things like weight trim and sails make a huge difference. We are getting used to the idea that weight forward to keep the stern out is fast. but that said we do have a brand new no1 and kite.

just having the issue of finding a permanent crew

Would be interesting to see how te fleet weighs up. I have a feeling I read in an old set of rules that the one type of keels had to carry corrector weights in the bow and stern. Any old boys floating around crew care to comment?

Maybe we should organise the little crane that the etchells and sail ability use at westhaven with Smithys Load Cell and weigh as many piedys as we can.

It might open up a can of worms that don't need to be opened though as ANY Piedy sailed well can be competitive. When we were racing the Damp (Modern Piedy) hard, our main competition was Loose unit (one of the very first piedys but very well modernised), Uno Extemeo (a middle aged piedy with concrete keel), Motamouse (modern piedy), Rat Attack (middle aged piedy with a brick for a keel and powerpole for a mast).

The loadcell is in Wgtn and I am in Saudi, but I'm sure I could get it to ya if you need it! What's a Piedy weigh?

There's no specific class weight for a piedy hull.

There's fairly strict rules about hull construction, however there is nothing saying you cannot overbuild (for example).

There is a minimum weight of the keel, and after making Jim's keel, I'm pretty sure most boats are underweight in this area...

Would be very interesting to weigh them and see tho. Would need to be cheap or free tho, as piedy guys never have any money

Loadcell and weight indicator is free to all Crew members. I dunno what the crane story is. Just let me know if you want the loadcell as it is in Wellywood at the moment and I would have to get him to send it up... 5000kg capacity, so no problems lifting a Piedy.

Archived