Jim Beam's nearly there.....

piebuss

Yeah Jim always sat really high in the bow and the arse was always just about under water... So with this keel I've made sure to balance it better..

We always used to have to put someone fwd too.....

You will find that with any yacht that Roger Wood used to own/helm, the arse was nearly always under water. Not implying that Roger has a weight issue, just that Jenny Craig would be an appropriate sponsor. :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers.

R.

Great to see Jim Beam in such great shape piebuss ... spent much of my childhood cruising on her (and the occasional race I'm told). My dad has fond memories of getting her to Kawau on a Squadron weekend in the mid-70s in 3hrs 6min - assisted by the tail end of Cyclone Alison, and an outgoing spring tide. He had the Dalton brothers as crew and they managed to carry the single-luff kite all the way, although some horrendous broaches apparently.

Hope to see the boat at the Coastal.

My dad has fond memories of getting her to Kawau on a Squadron weekend in the mid-70s in 3hrs 6min - assisted by the tail end of Cyclone Alison, and an outgoing spring tide. He had the Dalton brothers as crew and they managed to carry the single-luff kite all the way, although some horrendous broaches apparently.

I think I've met your dad once. I've also chatted to Grant Dalton about that sail they did to Kawau.

Prob won't be doing Coastal again, that was a pretty big undertaking for a little boat. But we'll see.

Looking good. Big keel for a little boat. Are all the piedies like that?? And why the lead on the angle and not evenly along the bottom??? I understand it would be getting weight forward, but is this also normal for piedies?

Only thing I would have done different (cause I'm lazy) is glass and fair the keel first, then attach and do the final glassing to Hull.

Yeap, Thats the latest class legal keel for the piedy. We have had a few other variations over the years, all similar shape and weight but different materials.

We had a similar lead and deadwood keel that was the orginal but was a little shorter and fatter. These have been trimmed up (using a class mould) making a better foil and making these boats competitive.

Then we had the steel keels - a steel case that the lead was poured into.

Then we had a glass mould that was filled with lead buckshot and resin to stop it rolling around

And then we had the one that has gone onto Jim.

All about 550kg

thats about the same keel the started with, coupled with a squat rig, Ewen Guy and co reconfigured with a shorter keel and taller rig early seventies which lit the little fuckers right up, back in 74 I sailed on Vestalia (686) in the original configuration, McFuck banged in the bigger baverstock spar and what a different boat........bloody Snedden still won though!!!

The new one has a skinnier foil section.

The mold has the NACA 0009 shape at the bottom and we tapered the fin to NACA 0007 at the top.

Compare that with the old keels which use the NACA 0012 section tapering to 0009.

From what I've read they both have their strong points. The fatter section's better upwind in light, or if it's choppy, while the skinny section works better at higher speed and downwind.

We were certainly very quick downwind at nationals, so there could be a bit of truth to it.

Any idea what McFuck is called these days? I wonder if McDees made them change their name so they could release a new burger...

Archived