IMS handicapping and Polar Plots

DrWatson

SO,

I'm not really sure how all this works wrt. handicapping and as time has progressed.

1.If you have Polar Plots for your vessel design which were calculated in 1995, is it likely, or possible, that a re-calculation now (new technology, better modeling etc.) would give you a different set of polars?

2. How do the Polar plots relate to your handicap?

Oh, and good morning everyone :) I just got a new job which removes the necessity for commuting and therefore affords me 3h of my life back every day :)

Hi DrW

1.If you have Polar Plots for your vessel design which were calculated in 1995, is it likely, or possible, that a re-calculation now (new technology, better modeling etc.) would give you a different set of polars?

Yes, the IMS polars, now renamed ORCI and the underlying Velocity prediction software has changed significantly over the past 20 years. The extent and nature of the change varies quite a bit depending on the general style of boat.

2. How do the Polar plots relate to your handicap?

It does depend a lot on which rating system you're referring to. At the simplest level a handicap is a means of 'averaging' the polar information into a simple number by making assumptions of what the average strength and direction of wind will be and then using the speed portion of the polars to determine an average speed.

For detail though on how one system approaches it, plenty on www.orc.org and if you can follow 10% of it you'll be doing well.

Archived