Another Grounding mistake

Island Time

Melbourne to Hobart yacht Seduction runs aground on return voyage, crew rescued off northern Tasmania

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-05/melbourne-to-hobart-yacht-rescue-off-northern-tasmania/6000396

Basic navigation problems again - never trust one form of nav info. Chart plotters are good, but verify with radar, sonar, mk1 eyeball etc.

Mistakes happen, but they were lucky not to lose either the yacht crew or the capsized rescue boat crew!

There but by the grace of god go the rest of us. Lets try to learn from these mistakes...

Right you are there IT. I made a mistake last summer that was so basic that it would be too embarassing even to discuss. Haven't told my mates or spouse about it - just really, really lucky that no one got hurt. It was well beyond stupid. And yes, tried to learn from it. 

We all make stupid mistakes, and it's part of the learning curve! Some are just unlucky enough to not get away with it! I read just the other day one of the major charter companies saying the most common groundings they have in their fleet are done by experienced skippers being complacent!

I must say that I have done that myself  :oops: ! I once hit a rock I knew was there!

Short trip, local waters, couldn't be bothered to start up the electronics, and used the (very fail-able) eye-ometer. Needed re calibrating that day!! X^%#$ Stupid!! 

Reminds me of a cruise to Barrier a few years ago.

My mates brother warns "you're close to Nelson rock which you hit a couple of years ago."

He replies "I know where it is"

Bang

And as quick as a flash says "See"

Archived