Sailing north - make sure your bum is clean

Chewing Gum

Anchored in Assassination Cove in the Bay of Islands a week ago along with about 30 other boats when the harbourmaster pulls up alongside in his fizzy.

He has on board 2 guys and a woman in wetsuits and starts asking me a whole lot of questions about when we last antifouled our boat and when we last cleaned it and if it was ok for them to carry out an inspection for fan worm.

I told them the boat was clean which they confirmed by diving under it. By the time they had finished talking to me which would have been around 10 minutes there were only about three other boats that had not up anchored and disappeared.

The penny dropped when he told me that if our boat had a dirty bottom haulout would have been mandatory !

As one of my crew said " I bet they don't check on the two cruise liners in the bay at the time."

Once again the yachties get hammered for no good reason as I suspect they are on a hiding to nothing and fan worm regrettably will find its way there.

Fan worm is already there (BoI) or thereabouts, I know we had a clean bum in Whangape, found a fan worm just below the waterline when we got back into Whangarei. We will be back onboard on thursday, will check if there are any more. We stopped in Houhora, Whangaroa, Crowles bay, BoI, and Whangaruru.

Archived