Old dinghy bits?

Anyone got any old rudders or centre boards they want to get rid of? Lying round the garage getting you in trouble?

My aunty is a fantastic artist and is looking for new canvases to paint her stuff on. She had an exhibition on Rakino Island last year at the jazz fest if anyone went?

She's looking for anything boaty to paint on so I thought I'd try my luck on here! Cheers

Guest Dry Reach
I have a 45ft Keel and will even supply the Paint. Do you think she is good enough artist to paint the picture of a large boat on it??? :wink:

Sorry HH but i would not give a nice / historical / practical / originall expensive peice of marine kit to some artist to paint on!

Some of these old boat bits are not like some old clay pot or beach stone that people paint and sell at silly prices. and why should we sacrifice marine history / scarce old kit for some one to profit from while destroying it.

i would rather see my old marine Bit's and peices be re used on a boat or sold and the money given to a yacht club or charity.

i had enough trouble trying to "BUY" a centreboard for a old boat i have a few months ago so i would be annoyed to see good reusable kit go into "ART".

Sling ya hook somewhere else :wink:

IMHO

lots of love

Lou Lowwater

Guest Dry Reach
I might have an old centreboard, I'll look.

Hey my very poor aunty wants any old wooden boat parts to use in her fire to keep her young family warm.

any help would be appreciated!

puts it into perspective :wtf:

Nope - sorry not for me. I've got no idea what your beef is. To me the original request looked quite understandable and reasonable.

Might have some old fins in the shed - would be a laugh to see what an artist could do with them.

Guest Dry Reach

Nope - sorry not for me. I've got no idea what your beef is. To me the original request looked quite understandable and reasonable.

Might have some old fins in the shed - would be a laugh to see what an artist could do with them.

Look a bit deeper and you might see someones aunty (probably loaded) profiting of someones hard work and good will.

and all for Art!

now if some of the profits of this art was going to help say,- Blind or disabled sailors then i would agree. but i suspect some rich Arty farty person is doing quite well out of this!

CAn HH please name the "Aunty" so i can google her?

Happy to be proved wrong.

I know several artists and none of them are anything like rich as a result of their art ..... nor are they in much danger of ever becoming so in the future. Having a healthy level of scepticism is one thing, but I think you're off beam a little bit mate. Its not an intricately spun conspiracy to defraud the nation of its old centreboards and unused yachting paraphanelia.

I don't think anyone's profiting hugely here and the OP is simply asking if anyone wishes to donate unused or unwanted items then there is a possible home for them. Its not compulsory by any means. If you don't want to do it, that's fine but there's no need to get wound up about it.

Ya may wanna loosen up the old tinfoil beanie there, dude.

Jeez, quite a cynical leap there!! The number of people making serious money as an artist in NZ would be pretty small!

I'm no artist but I interpreted it differently. Often part of art of this nature is the quirk of turning something old, scungy and relatively useless into something that people would be happy to nail to the wall in their lounge or bar. I doubt very much if Aunty would be interested in a new centreboard. She would probably prefer something with scratches and dings that help constitute "character".

Likewise - I'm happy to be proven wrong!

I thought that iif you wanted to make money as an artist it was preferable to be dead???

Hey HH - no such thing as bad publicity, if you can find some photos of her work post them here.

Guest Dry Reach

Fair enough.

but if you see your old centre board sold at auction for $squillions and some Arty Aunty rubbing her hands together as she drives of with the cash in the boot of the Lambo.

then don't moan & say i did'nt warn you.

i have seen a "so called" artist who makes fantastic dosh from metal "art" ( taken from "people's old metal stuff") do this recently and he was playing the "poor is me" trick while sourcing free "materials".

Then when some suspicous dude followed him home to his million dollar mansion the penny dropped.!

Why cant we take all our old boat stuff to a "yacht club" boot sale and donate proceeds to something good?

after all Aunty Arty can come and buy the stuff too!

put some value on your old boat kit chaps! (after all why did you store it for all those years?) :crazy:

There are two ways to make money out of Art in NZ.

1: Be a really good artist. I have a two friends that have outstanding art and they sell their paintings for huge money.

2: be a complete wacko out there tree hugger. Councils and TePapa then pay humungous amounts to commision you for stupid out there lumps of scrap metal that is then called Art.

Guest Dry Reach
There are two ways to make money out of Art in NZ.

1: Be a really good artist. I have a two friends that have outstanding art and they sell their paintings for huge money.

2: be a complete wacko out there tree hugger. Councils and TePapa then pay humungous amounts to commision you for stupid out there lumps of scrap metal that is then called Art.

Yip you are spot on there wheels.

A certain City council spent $40,000 15 years ago for some guy to drop a 4 tonne rock onto a steel plate!...

two years later the plate rusted and the "sculpture" was deemed unsafe and it took $10K to remove it!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

and i've never met a poor artist... yet

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well I can certainly understand why no one would want to introduce a poor artist to you... or anyone else for that matter.

Guest Dry Reach

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well I can certainly understand why no one would want to introduce a poor artist to you... or anyone else for that matter.

:crazy: Why would they not introduce por artists to anyone else? :crazy: :crazy:

Archived