Waiau Bay, Whangaparaoa - uncharted sunken danger?

Kevin McCready

Am I wrong? My depth sounder picked up very shallow sunken danger in an area which I estimated at 1/4 nm off the eastern entrance to Waiau Bay which didn't seem marked on my updated chart. Scary, but didn't touch. I was too busy hightailing it out of there to think of pressing MOB to record the exact location and am not inclined to try again.

Comments?

Depending on the GPS you have your track maybe recorded at 1second intervals, that should be recoverable from the GPS. You should see your change in direction ..... Just before the turn will be the location of interest ....

Entirely plausible. The geology around here is fairly 'disturbed'. There is the odd example of rocks and other sunken dangers around the Penninsular. Most are charted, that I know of, but doesn't mean they are all chartered.

The foreshore and cliffs around Army Bay inparticular can keep geology and geotech students amused for days, so many examples of random sh*t and excited geological features... Including lumps of the Mt Wellington Volcano, just randomly sitting in sedimentary layers, etc I.e. Big basaltic bolers in the middle of flat mud or rock shelves.

Archived