Can anyone identify this item

Hi

This item is secured to the hull just in front of the depth sounder and speed sensor's. There doesn't appear to be any part number or other identifying labels on the black plastic.

A cable leads off from it an disappears into the darker depths under the water tank/berth moulding ...... read can not be traced.

Down the other end of the boat the only things that display/use data are a Navman 3100 multi, and 3150 Wind and a Simrad TP20 tiller pilot. It may have performed a function for the Navman's when they were useful. It maybe a compass  for the TP20 as evidently they have a connection for a compass?. 

I'm about to replace the depth and speed sensors with the Garmin (AIRMAR) DST800 as part of a move to NMEA 2000 based network and thought i'd remove this in passing if it does nothing for me.

The Garmin kit will only require one hole in the hull, so I intend to glass up both existing holes and make one new one. 

Thanks for any ideas.

What is this.jpg

There is nothing outside the hull under this item, right?

It looks like an old through hull (as in shoot thru, no hull hole) depth transducer. Possibly from an instrument no longer present??

The TP20 has an internal compass IIRC.

Most likely a depth transducer. They can be mounted on the inside of the hull and still work reasonably successfully. But I've never seen one with the 6 screw mounting - that would be more likley in an ultrasound tank depth sensor.

Presumbaly you can unsrcrew it and have a look at it?