Fresh water, salt water

Guest 000

I am thinking about moving the boat from Whangamata and putting her on piles up the Clevedon river. It would be fairly expensive so looking to save money where I can. In Whangamata I am lucky to get nine months from three coats of antifouling - what is the expectation regarding mooring the boat in fresh water? I don't know what the flow of the Clevedon river is in knots in regard to the antifoul ablating, but assume the fresh water would limit fouling?

Is there anything else about a fresh water berth I should consider?

Any spare berths up the weiti?

I'm sitting in Omaru Bay just now. It's raining, there's no wind and I've got cabin fever so I could motor over and check the place out....

We live quite far up weiti river so would imagine we get a fair bit of fresh water flow. On a stretch we get 12months from 2 coats of anti foul and it is screwed and all worn through. We do alot of racing so the boat gets cleaned (with a sponge) every race which averages out about a clean every fortnight which probably doesnt help with the wear of the antifoul.

Not yet, only just got back, strangely enough it's looking a lot better now than it was before Xmas. But I will call him before the next paint job and see what he can tell me.

The pile moorings all belong to WBC (except the one I am on). If the wind is good you can anchor at Arkles and walk to the supermarket, movie theatre and 10 pin bowling, Stop by the house and have a shower and do your laundry if you want.

When our boat was in Havelock, we had large amounts of fresh water run through the Marina. My Boat would have nothing but a coat of slime after 2 years. Now Shellfish, no weed, just slime. When at Hobsonville, we would be covered in both Shellfish and Weed, mainly that Fanworm stuff. But I do think temperature may play a part too. The water in Havelock has been known to freeze in midwinter after a spell of harsh frosts. Common in older days, I have only ever seen it occur once in my time there. But it would mean the fresh water would have been very cold.