Recovering trailer-sailer recommendations

Hi there,

I've been two times at sea with our Noelex 22, both times launched and recovered from Takapuna boat ramp. Thanksfully, both times there have been great people around able to help me getting the boat in the trailer again.

The last time, the guy that helped me told me to keep the trailer as much out of the water as possible. I try not to reach the axle when both launching and retrieving.

Can you give me some advise? I'll add a picture as I believe my trailer should have some extra rollers or something similar?

Thanks

If it's a marten noelex and trailer it should be really simple as they were well thought out. Axle just out of water, tilt released, line up front of boat with self centring roller and just wind. They weigh around 750kg so you need low gear on the winch. If the water is a bit rougher we found it better to leave the tilt locked so the boat couldn't lift off in the waves.

I'm afraid the trailer doesn't tilt. Both times we have been out there have been done waves making it really difficult.

I believe the boat floats too much and gets itself out of the rollers. That's why it worked when I moved the trailer even further out of the water. I'm also afraid on putting too much pressure on the winch when the trailer is out of the water, add I feel the whole weight of the boat outside of the water is too much. Am I right? Or the winch can take a lot of load?

Thanks again

IMG_20160115_193453.jpg

• Upvote 1

That doesn't appear to be supporting the hull very well at all. Very hard to tell much from the photos, might be worth asking the noelex guys. The only guy I know in the fleet at the mo is Ric Turner, he works at Fonterra takanini, don't know if there's a directory. The Noelex and Hartley fleets are based at MYMBC near onehunga.

All depends on the trailer. That trailer has spring loaded guide rollers on the back. If it is a multi roller trailer, with self adjusting wobble rollers, it should work great with just the tip of the rear rollers at about surface level, then which the boat up. It's all about water depth - too deep and you will have trouble keeping the boat straight while loading, as it will float off. To shallow and it will be too hard to winch.

It does not matter how deep the axle and wheels are, and this will vary with ramp angle/gradient. The roller depth is the key.

As above post - when loaded, what is the boat sitting on? Make sure that it is properly supported, and not point loaded anywhere.

Happy to give you a demo if you come to gulf harbour at all?

Good luck

Hi

If there is some surge your right not to put the trailer in to deep, as the boat can float off the rollers. Work it in sections, that is as the boat comes on move the trailer back. You need a dedicated driver. The trick is to balance keeping weight on the rollers and letting the boat float so winching is easy.

Side poles can help sometimes but they have to be at max beam an that part of the boat is often still in the water !