Dicky gearbox

Guest 000

Ummm, is that bits of metal in the good as well??? I am really concerned with the wear for such low hrs.
Show those pics to James. If that is common with these boxes, he really needs to be talking very hard to the Manufacturer.

I think you need to take this further Chris. I am not sure exactly sure just who you talk to. Consumers people would likely be best. Can someone jump inn here???? But white gloves slapped around the face and the threat of Swords drawn at 40 paces at Dawn would be a good start.
And if this is the support that James of Moon gets from his supplier, then if it were me, I would not be supplying their products.

Interestingly, from what I understand, this is one of the things in the TPPA that is argued against, that you get to have more clout against companies off shore like this. Of course it probably comes down to having the money to take the to task, but still.

Wheels, I guess you're talking about the visible wear in the selector groove?

I would have thought that that is an indication of too much preloaded on the selector dog,or inadequate/wrong lubrication? However I know nothing about this particular gearbox.

Chris, how worn is the selector dog and groove? Tolerances should be in the manual.. Wear in the dog and or groove can cause slipping as the cone to cup engagement depth is reduced by wear in many designs. The dog should never reach the bottom of the groove.

Problem resolved.

I have been in communication with PRM in England and they are still denying that their boxes ever have a problem - the bas**rds. Perhaps they should check out a few of the English canal boat forums and see just how many people have experienced the exact same fault as I have.

James at Moon Engines has made a very attractive offer on a new box which I have accepted. He will try and recoup his losses from PRM.

I hope he has success with that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That is awesome and a big thumbs up to James  :thumbup:  I have heard so many good comments from people about that Guy. His positive reputation is only going to help his business and even if he doesn't get joy from PRM, he should at least consider this situation as good PR and advertising for his business. I will always highly recommend him.

Most likely no. If the Cones are slipping, then the friction material has worn away. So machining anything only takes away even more of what is wearing away.
If you haven't, then do check that the lever on the box is being moved across it's full travel. Just incase something is stopping it and thus stopping the cones from fully engaging.