Halbergs

http://www.halbergawards.co.nz/about-the-awards/judging-criteria/

The criterion for the supreme Halberg Award is:

The Halberg Award will be awarded to the individual athlete, athlete in a team, or team whose achievement represented excellence in sport at the highest level. 

When voting the judges consider the following:

1. Regarding the achievement, was it in that sport's 'pinnacle event' (eg Olympics, Paralympics, Rugby World Cup)
  2. Regarding the achievement, was it a world record, or world ranking or recognition (eg 'World Player of the Year').
  3. Regarding the achievement, the quality of the field / competition
  4. the global nature of the sport.

The halergs have never claimed to be anything other than a fundraising event for the halberg foundation. But they have become so boring and predictably mainstream that I gave up on them years ago.

While I love rugby I don't think a sportsman should ever be the NZer of the year or be knighted just for being good at it. It just demeans them. Those awards should go to sports, business, arts people who have used their skills and notoriety for something other than their self aggrandisement. Sir Michael Jones for example.

I've just visitedGllenfern Sanctuary on GBI and The late Tony Bouzaid illustrates my point. A great sportsman who has gone on to do something meaningful for the country. He should've got a gong long before Sir Graham Henry.