water pump impeller

I have read somewhere that there were some models where you had to remove a circlip from the bottom of the shaft (i.e. inside the 'gear' box - not

I am no outboard expert. I have replaced the impellor on my own Suzuki 15 and Johnston 15. The shaft just slipped out. The only hard part was getting at the Bolt on that clamp used on the Gear change shaft. Both outboards were a pain. I don't see why a circlip would be used, but not saying it hasn't on the Yami.

Gear box is probably an overstatement on my behalf. There is a horizontal plate  (anti cavitation plate ??) below the impellor location. Below that plate there is a 'bulb which has oil init and I guess some form of cog to change drive orientation from horizontal to vertical (shaft spins horizontally, prop vertically) - that's what I am terming a gear box. But remember these outboards have direct drive (motor running = prop turning), no neutral, no reverse,  just go and whoa. To go backwards you spin motor 180 degrees.

I might ring Murray I think,  he seems to carve out a nice life from outboard servicing but thanks anyway for your input.

Ok as in one of my posts here I have an inboard strainer,No strainer on out of hull.

Last Saturday while out fishing off Hooks Bay we went to motor back to Man o war,noticed not a lot of water coming out.No alarm checked internal strainer and had water.

Went for a swim and found weed stuck in intake,removed weed and full water flow from exhaust.

Now the question is,Do I remove internal strainer and fit external strainer,apparently you cannot have both?

Any thoughts?

Why can't you have both? The Hull strainer is coarse and is there to stop large stuff, like a plastic bag or as you found, from sucking into the intake. the internal strainer is much much finer and stops fine stuff from running into the pump and damaging impeller or blocking cooler galleries. If I was to remove one, it would be the Hull strainer. I don't have one on my Boat and never had a problem. But I do have the internal one and it gets lots of rubbish over time.

+1 for what Wheels said. No reason I know of not to have 2. I have 2 - sort of - I have a sail drive with 6 smallish holes for cooling intake iirc, then it goes to the inboard strainer. I've had a plastic bag round the leg once that stopped the coolant flow....

+1 for what Wheels said. No reason I know of not to have 2. I have 2 - sort of - I have a sail drive with 6 smallish holes for cooling intake iirc, then it goes to the inboard strainer. I've had a plastic bag round the leg once that stopped the coolant flow....

We were just talking about sail drives Saturday night,Have such small holes my friend is thinking about putting a separate cock in so as to get maximum flow to motor,any issues about not using the sail drive pick up??

I am thinking that I should stay with internal,no biggie to disconnect inlet and blow back should the problem arise again.Saturday strong incoming tide with lots of debri so guessing I was unlucky.