LPG, kerosene or meths (alcohol), which would you choose

A very timely thread....having this discussion now as have a boat that came with a good stove oven uninstalled and gas lines that need replacing.  So essentially a new installation.

I grew up with gas on boats, have a respect of gas on boats and love cooking with gas.

He however wants to install a simple Kero stove, for various reasons including simplicity and safety.  I however absolutely detest the idea probably because I've never seen or used one and really hate the smell of kero.

For those that have, or have had kero, how does it smell while using and does the aroma linger?

I was living in Opua when that Cat blew up. Apparently it was caused by a gas leak that built up in the bilge. The owner went on board after a few days away and lit the stove...

When it happened I had a workmate who had crewed on the boat and went to help with the salvage of what they could. He reckoned the gas leak was from a cheap stand alone gas heater (one with its own bottle) not part of the boats gas system. It had either corroded or malfunctioned or both and leaked, so when the stove was lit up went the boat.

While gas explosions on boats are horrible, The risk from a properly vented and installed gas system with detectors are pretty low.

A very timely thread....having this discussion now as have a boat that came with a good stove oven uninstalled and gas lines that need replacing.  So essentially a new installation.

I grew up with gas on boats, have a respect of gas on boats and love cooking with gas.

He however wants to install a simple Kero stove, for various reasons including simplicity and safety.  I however absolutely detest the idea probably because I've never seen or used one and really hate the smell of kero.

For those that have, or have had kero, how does it smell while using and does the aroma linger?

you cook fish

the aroma lingers

my rule is whoever does the most cooking

gets to choose the gear

Not have gas? so a simple gas detector wasn't the answer?

I have been percolating on this one for a few days and have some reasoning behind my current set-up and future travels.

No to gas as it is one more fuel I need to carry. Currently have 400lt diesel on board and kero for the stove/oven and lighting. Run leds also so the kero is not crucial for lighting, have 400w solar and three house batteries. WIll need to replace fire box in the potbelly in the next three years, so may consider replacing it with a diesel heater.

With now having the need for three fuel sources, diesel, kero and wood/coal would it be wise to reduce it to two?? Do I want to increase it to four sources needed?? No, hence one of the reasons I don't have lpg on board. .Also with my long term travel plans lpg id not an option for resupply, but wood/ coal is.

Plans to leave the yacht unattended for a few months at a time is also a consideration and I just want to lessen the risk of  something going pear shaped