ais transponder

hi just wondering.     To activate a transponder in transmit mode it seems you need a 9 digit mmsi no, which I was told by coastgaurd yesterday will be $10 and I will get it by email in 24 hrs as it has to come from wellington. Fine I paid my $10. The question is will I now have to pay an annual radio license fee which looks like it may be $350?   I went through an online process today and was given the mmsi no and there was no specific cost quoted or even mentioned but suspect that A bill may follow?

hi just wondering.     To activate a transponder in transmit mode it seems you need a 9 digit mmsi no, which I was told by coastgaurd yesterday will be $10 and I will get it by email in 24 hrs as it has to come from wellington. Fine I paid my $10. The question is will I now have to pay an annual radio license fee which looks like it may be $350?   I went through an online process today and was given the mmsi no and there was no specific cost quoted or even mentioned but suspect that A bill may follow?

We have never had to pay any annual fees.... Should we be?

AIS is a nice comfort. As long as the big vessels are actually watching/listening for it!. 

I don,t know but will call them to find out next week,[ radio spectrum licensing or something,] I have sent a email to say that if I have inadvertently signed up to pay 350 a year then I want to cancel it ASAP, Too Tall is your ais transmitting and does have an mmsi number?

still hard to find people who know much about recreational mmsi numbers

esp. as it's an international system that has only been partially rolled out and seems underfunded

the literature seems mainly focused o commercial

my last boat sailed from europe 10 years ago , before i bought it,  with an mmsi programmed into the DSC GPS VHF...........think it might be a requirement for the panama canal etc

however online searches done now fail to show that mmsi number showing up on any database

maybe the last owner stopped paying his fee to his national radio organisation so they cancelled it to encourage commercial users to keep paying a hefty fee to keep the databases funded?

maybe he cancelled it when he got back home?

but it is still being broadcast by the VHF and can't be changed inside nz...

nz coastguard don't think this should have happened and that there also should be a radio call sign "attached" to the mmsi

in theory

but they don't really know what other countries are doing 

that wasn't AIS

afaik mmsi # weren't only for AIS but also for DSC VHF

but as that is dying through lack of interest perhaps mmsi are slowly morphing into AIS only?

at least here

problem is that the ais that I have says that without entering a mmsi number it will only receive not transmit but if that costs 350 a year then many people in yachts especially those that don,t use them a lot will choose to simply not pay and so not transmit, not such a problem as long as you keep a proper lookout and even having the receive function working is a bonus.  When I went through the activation process tonight I assumed that at some stage it would state if or what fees may be payable , but nothing came up until the end when it asked did I want to direct debit, but still no price, will suss it on Monday though.

- How do I apply for an MMSI number if I already have a callsign allocated?

You will need to contact RSM on 0508 RSM INFO (0508 776-463) or email info@rsm.govt.nz to organise for the allocation of an MMSI number if you already have a callsign allocated.

the need to generate cash to fund databases and data entry only grows

according to this only some callsigns can be transfered now

and even updating your details entails a fee

Transfer of Ownership
  • Only ZME and ZMF series callsigns can be transferred.
  • Please note that callsigns in the ZMG series are automatically generated and cannot be re-allocated to the new owner of a vessel.

http://www.callsigns.co.nz/maintenance.htm

There are several ways to obtain an MMSI number. Mine is via the RSM (radio spectrum management dept of govt). But they don't do them if your are VHF only. (I'm HF/SSB as well). To get solid current info, check with Coastguard Boating information, or Click the Enautical advert on here. They are both approved radio examiners, and can issue MMSI numbers.

Looking back through my notes, we paid a minimal fee ( I didn't note the amount ) for the mmsi and I noted it was via coastguard. No annual fees noted and nothing to indicate we needed anything. I think that IT is pretty much bang on the money. 

I missed the bit about DSC and Epirbs. If you have one (mssi), it should be programmed into both the DSC (VHF and HF, if equipped) as well. Once assigned to a vessel, its permanent. DSC wont work without an MMSI.

This is why MMSI once programmed into an AIS unit, cannot be changed (Except by the manufacturer or agents), on most units. The issue about no transmission unless it has one is part of the reason it's against US law to sell an AIS transponder in the US without being programmed with the correct MMSI by the dealer.

Tracking an MMSI that is not being broadcast via an AIS transponder, and logged via websites such as Marine Traffic, will likely be an issue. NZ has no DSC receiver stations, and "broadcast" by DSC is not correct in my understanding of the system. DSC wont broadcast as such unless the distress button is pressed, or an all station transmission is made. It has no cycle of broadcast by default - That is what an AIS transponder does.

So, if you have a DSC setup VHF in your boat, but you have not made a DSC call, WHILE IN RANGE of a shore station, your MMSI won't have been seen by any official for years.

Finally, if you have DSC setup on your VHF or HF radio, you should test it with someone else who does. Its a pretty cool system. Id be happy to help out if I'm in range of anyone who wants to try a VHF one?

Good video explanation of DSC here:

Don't you get a mmsi No. when you register your epirb??

different number unfortunately

A UIN is a Unique Identifier Number that is programmed into each beacon at the factory.

The UIN number consists of 15 digit series of letters and numbers that make up the unique identity of the beacon.

The UIN is on a white label on the exterior of the beacon. The UIN is also referred to as the Hex ID.

An MMSI number is a Maritime Mobile Service Identity number. It is a series of nine digits in the format MIDXXXXXX where MID = the country and XXXXXX = the digital code assigned to a given ship.

While the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) maintains the worldwide master list of MMSI

excellent

while we're on this kind of stuff have just updated the owner details, boat name, call sign and sail number for a 2nd hand epirb 

using this site

http://beacons.org.nz/

only trick was the "checksum number" they wanted that wasn't on the beacon

this site offers a checksum calculator which generated it

http://www.microtechnologies.co.nz/406-beacon-hex-15-checksum-calculator.html