Cat 3 Inspection

Yep :-) he says the issue is maritime NZ - they set the rules. I'm not certain this is correct. I thought they accepted ynzs recommendations..

Anyone know for sure?

I suspect for things like distress signals he is correct, its likely to be in the maritime rules as to what is a distress signal, i will have a look later and see if i can find it.  

The rules tend to be rather static and slow to change so its worth having a look to see where it is and then keep an eye out for any review and make submissions.

I've had a hunt through the maritime rules...part 23, actually written for commercial vessels, has a list of distress signals :

The following signals, used or exhibited either together or separately, indicate distress and need of assistance:

(d) a signal made by any signalling method consisting of the group ...- - -... (SOS) in the Morse Code:

(I) a rocket parachute flare or a hand-flare showing a red light

Both of which should be able to be done by an LED flare.

Looking up what a flare must be/do got me to Rule 42A.23 that's says "Any required hand flare must meet the requirements of section 3.2 of the International Life-Saving Appliance Code."

Which you have to purchase... So dead end. That code comes from the IMO, International Maritime Organisation, who for numerous reasons, make glaciers look fast and loose, when it comes to change....

Hopefully there is another way that Maritme NZ can look at adopting LED flares for NZ without waiting for IMO change....

Well, the us coastguard accept them...

Good point, not sure how well the US like following international conventions or just like trying to set the rules....

Will see I can find out anymore about the IMO code