Dock lines

My lines are starting to look pretty ratty, and need replacing asap.

I had some questions on the setup I inherited with the boat + berth.

I go stern to, with a finger down my port side.  

The aft port has two lines with eye splices. seems simple, easy enough. 

the aft strbd has one line which loops - so just throw it over the cleat, and a second line with a splice. Effectively 3 lines but seems very messy and is difficult to fit on the single cleat.

Forward there is a line each side with eyes spliced. 

These all seem to do a good job of holding the boat in the centre line of the berth.

Then we run one line from the end of the finger to midships and tie it around the base of the shrouds, this is to stop the boat going backwards into the dock.  

This bit needs improving - its tied each time so there is higher chance of getting it wrong; 

its always a slightly different length and i'm never sure which is best;

it rubs badly on the toe rail and;

It puts what seems like a lot of strain on the wrong axis of the shrouds.. must be a better way.

Can anybody enlighten my as to why there would be three lines when presumably one would do (strbd aft),

And what option do I have for a (spring?) line? I can make it longer and take it back to a cockpit winch or something?

Thanks. Lots to learn

20160909_132155.jpg

20160909_132208.jpg

20160909_132220.jpg

With all the information provided above... How does Knot Me stay in business?

Because during the previous couple of weeks I've been into most of the big name swindlery's looking for this sort of information, and there was none forthcoming.

Consequently, KM will now receive my business. :)

Because during the previous couple of weeks I've been into most of the big name swindlery's looking for this sort of information, and there was none forthcoming.

It's a sad thing, but there a not a lot of swindleries around now, that have People behind the Counter that actually go boating, let alone sailing. Then many of the ones that are left with Boaties behind the counter, they tend to push the Brand they get cheapest, rather than a good product and sell it on it's features and benefits. And lets face it, you go into any Chandlery now, and they are all stocked with exactly the same brand names. Thus the Businesses then compete on price alone and to sell a Bolt cheaper than the other shop, they stock a Bolt made from 304 instead of 316 and then the other shop starts stocking cheaper 303.5 instead of the full 304 and so on. In the end, we all get a choice of exactly the same cheap junk.