Cat 1

Im with Booboo have just had a third reef installed in my main I have a stack pack and a hell of a lot of ropes around my mast Trying to raise a trysail would be a nightmare,I do have a dedicated track and have played with the trysail think I will only use it if boom breaks.

We used the Trisail in the last leg of the RNI when the boom broke on the Marshall, but only for a short time before we loose footed the main (Gavin's excellent idea!) We have a separate track for the trisail, and a gate. The gate gave me the most grief. Took forever to get it in and out. If it was already rigged it would be easy to hoist, but like Booboo says, you have to go forward to sort out the main and get it tied down. That's no fun..

We also have a cassette that mounts on the stern of the Marshall and a plan to drop the rudder out of the bottom of the boat and plug the hole if need be. Never even tried the emergency rudder out for real yet, but it is easy to fit... 

Still trucking. Loose footed main.png

IMG_3376.JPG

In a lot of wind I have found on a cat that a storm jib and the windage of the boom with stackpack worked well. I like to carry some backup sails though, blowing out working sails should not stop you getting home if offshore. Will have a trysail, but unlikely to use it, and a spare smaller main as well as back up headsails.  And a deep 3rd reef that is ready to use .   Would  hang on a parachute sea anchor , are they required for cat 1? Possibly more useful unless you are needing to beat off a lee shore.

Perhaps note this isn't an official rule change yet.

Also a deep reef would be to trysail specs, which would be the equivalent of a fourth reef on most mainsails, to match the expected small area of a trysail.

The change is aimed at allowing short handed boats the rule option of not having to change to a trysail if the rig and crew strength make the change to a trysail challenging if not dangerous on deck. Either will be allowed (as I understand)

Alternative steering gear is required for Cat 1. As mostly do catamarans that is not hard to achieve. I can see an underhung stern rudder on a monohull would be a challenging layout to show an effective alternative. 

Like so many of the Cat 1 rules, they are a sensible minimum. If a boat has a unique set up making compliance tricky, a good inspector will discuss and consider, rationale behind an exemption, often after asking 'head office'.

It's always up to the skipper to be confident of his boat and gear.