cheap dinghy/tender

khayyam

Remember I am asking if anyone has built a dingy on the beach........in a day.Maybe towed it out to their yacht overnight and finished it the next day.Most dingy building stories are about building something perfect and desirable.I am asking about a dingy that can be abused,dragged over rocks and roughly patched.

I haven't but I think I would use ply with chine logs, boatnails and construction adhesive out of a tube to do it. It'd need some research into the glue, I know guys in the US use a product called PL construction adhesive but I don't know what the equivalent here is.

One very funny method I heard of is to build a sand ( male) mould on the beach, cover it in plastic like glad wrap, and layup glass over that.

One very funny method I heard of is to build a sand ( male) mould on the beach, cover it in plastic like glad wrap, and layup glass over that.

Thats an interesting idea. :thumbup:

No,I think it would have to be a pram design.Maximum lenght of a sheet of plywood.There a probably a few of those designs out and about.How would you start?Take paper templates off an existing dingy?Could you use polyester resin for the glue?What common material could you use for the thickener?Would you need fibreglass tape on the seams?Would acrylic house paint keep it usable for a year or two?

I built a John Welsford 5 metre Stitch n tape rowing skiff in an open carport. A garage would have been better. I'd suggest you read Johns book for starters. Use epoxy and tape the chines. House paint should be fine.

You are spolied for choice if you want to build this sort of thing. Cheap/ free plans are everywhere. Like the little pram below. PM me an email addy if you want a high res scan.

Or you might check out Duckworks. They sell plans for all sorts of small boats. Some of the plans are real cheap and a few free ones as well.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans.htm

Or http://www.simplicityboats.com/minisharpie.html

Cray 1 001.jpg

cray 2 001.jpg

I've emailed a link to this thread to our resident NZ dinghy design guru John Welsford, hopefully he has time to comment.

Squid, weren't you going to build a Joansa a while back?

Yep. It's still there waiting for me. I have the garage cleaned and the jig built and ready, then I started working a day job. I just have to get my life sorted better, work seriously interferes with things.

Yep. It's still there waiting for me. I have the garage cleaned and the jig built and ready, then I started working a day job. I just have to get my life sorted better, work seriously interferes with things.

Ha! Know what you mean. When people ask me when my tri is going to be launched I just tell them "all the usual excuses apply".

Archived