Por15 Whitecote

POR15 is a very good and very expensive Epoxy coating that specifically likes Rust. As long as it is not lose rust, you need a certain amount of rust to make it adhere properly.
Colourworks Paint supplies ltd of Penrose Auckland used to be the distributor.

ScottiE, if you are using it interior, there ar several other good options and a lot cheaper. A single pot alternative is Hammerite. It is a very hard finish that works the same way with rust. Not a normal paint. It is very fst drying and has a glass flake in the paint (you don't see it of course) that makes the paint very hard. It can go on to lighty rusted surfaces as is or can have greater protection with their primer.
Another excellent finish is Rust-O-leum. They have a great range available now, but it requires their rust primer on steel before the finish coat. It's in a spray can and gives a stunning finish.

the interior of the boat was painted with whitecote and still looks mint - the number of tools I've dropped on the floor etc - I'm very impressed.  The reasons why it was originally painted with whitecote, I don't know, care or wish to speculate about.  I have however a few areas to tidy up where I've cut out the odd bit of soft ply and I intend to use the same product rather than something else to ensure that the finish closely matches rather than trial and possible error with other products.  That is all.

That place on the corner of Church and Gt south that Wheels talks about has it.  I buy it in the test pack size for odd engine/ gearbox etc painting jobs.

No UV protection, but you prolly know that.

Flow Coat and Gel Coat are both Polyester products and are their names rather than a particular product.
You can most certainly get Epoxy coatings that will do exactly the same thing.

When it comes to Epoxy, it all pretty much starts off as the same foundation of Epoxy as pure resin. Then the manufacturer adds in what they want to make the finished Coating. The main differences of how a Resin cures are to found in the Hardener. In a coating, various additives are added to make the product a finished hardness, toughness, pliability, cover thickness, Fluidity, ability to adhere while wet and not run( called thixotropic property) and so on.
Epoxies do not have good UV protection and tend to chalk and slightly yellow over time in direct Sun. Hence why most all Epoxies are undercoats or interior coatings. And hence why outside coatings tend to be a modified Polyurathane.

If anyone wants an Epoxy Coating that is cheap and yet tuff as hobnails, try Hempels Epoxy Mastic. You can paint it on most materials, including rust. It can be used as a barrier coat and is water and chemical resistant. I just painted on a workshop floor and blimey to takes a hammering and does nothing but smile back. It's only about $120 for a 5ltr pack. I say ruffly, because I got it cheap because the business I got it from no longer sells paint and it was their last couple of Tins and that was what it used to sell for.