Furlers - Auckland.

I have a furler and would not do with out for cruising,the sail has foam it is not quite a no2 has foam in luff and can furl to about 1/2 before it looses shape,so nice to be in the cockpit to reduce sail rather bounce around changing sails.As my manisail reef system is hopeless unless you reef before weighing anchor. I have found that with furlers I need to put more backstay on.

The more backstay you can put on the better its going to look when its partly furled. Forestay sag has a huge effect on sail shape. 

Before we went offshore in our Davidson 35 I built a dacron 125% no2 with heavy UV and rope luff (less effective than foam). I look photos and computer analyzed the shape, fully out and partly furled, there was actually very little depth increase for the same wind strength. We also raced with it partly furled in 30+ knots a couple of times and performance was still fine. The furler is a harken with fairly light and small foil which I think helps.