Too rich or too lean?

Guest 000

My little 2hp Suzuki is running pretty well after a recent rebuild, but at heading towards peak revs it gets a bit hesitant and unable to produce the last little bit of power.

The needle jet has three settings by which you can make the fuel mixture a bit richer or leaner, but how do you know which you should do. When the motor starts to hesitate, it doesn't blow any smoke and the plug is clean.

An easy way to find out is to get it to the point of hesitation and turn off the fuel - if it goes better just before it runs out of gas then it was too rich but if it just gets worse then probably it was too lean. you need to close the throttle and turn the fuel back on fairly swiftly if it indicates too lean as we don't want to badger a lean two stroke... there are other possibilities but turning of the fuel will narrow the field down a lot

Yes that would work too  although if it ran well with the choke say half closed you might be getting only two ponypower - so long as that didn't affect your judgement. certainly you would hear the little engine improve or not and it would help diagnose it. 

OK, done it in line with mattm's post which confirmed that the motor was running a bit lean. Adjusted the carburetor needle valve and all good now. If only I could make myself a bit richer so easily.

Thanks to all for the good advice.