Ceramco heading for NZ

From todays Weekend Herald...

Blake boat heads back Downunder

Aboard a fabled yacht in the Caribbean, a big plan is being hatched. Dianne Masters, owner of the sleek 20m ocean racer, wants to sail it to its original home port, Auckland, pick up a New Zealand crew and enter it in the Sydney-Hobart Race. And if the lithe but ailing 47-year-old achieves her aim it will be a historic moment.

The boat is Ceramco NZ and this year's Bass Strait classic marks the 30th anniversary of Peter Blake's victory, only the fourth line and handicap honours in the race's history. Blake then headed off around the world in the celebrated Whitbread race, in which a broken mast cheated him and his crew of a likely victory.

full story at

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10625810

Reminds me a bit of the Ragtime/Infidel experience, in that the owners - along with Kiwis old enough to remember - get a kick out of bringing the boats "home". Which is a bonus for everyone.

Although I'd have to say:

sail it to its original home port, Auckland, pick up a New Zealand crew and enter it in the Sydney-Hobart Race.

A few emails and some plane tickets has perhaps taken over as a way of putting together a Sydney-Hobart crew.

I see that there is mention of sponsorship being required for the race - wonder if a repeat of the fundraising tour of NZ ports is planned. An updated version of that photo shoot at Milford Sound with the Air NZ kite up might get them some flights for the crew.