Offshore medical Course

Unfortunately the Va'Vau race is not going ahead however we are still running "Dr Dave's Offshore Medical Course" on Saturday 22 April

The link is here - http://rayc.co.nz/product/drdave

Dr Dave Austin will be leading a course at RAYC* on Saturday 22nd April 2017 that will cover the use of the YNZ first aid kits. Completion of this course will be accepted by RAYC for the 2018 Auckland Noumea Yacht Race. At present this course will not be recognised for events overseas. The course is limited to 40 students.

The course will cover:

• Sea Sickness
  • Minor wounds
  • Major Trauma
  • Major wounds and closure techniques
  • Fractures and dislocations
  • Burns, Infection – skin, systemic
  • Antibiotics
  • Intramuscular injections

The course will take place at the following location:
Framecad
99 Felton Matthew Ave
St Johns 1072

Hello,

The course is currently in process to be accredited by YNZ, however it has been accepted for the Auckland - Fiji, Brisbane-Noumea, Sydney-Hobart races to date

No it is not free!

I donate my time for the course to help yachties.

A small profit was made from last years course which we donated to the cyclone relief fund in Fiji

At $275 for a full day course including practical stations - it is extremely good value

Regards

Dr Dave

Did course last year, bloody good value. Dave had us all rearing to staple up wounds and administer injections! Interesting to note that in the '15 Hobart, I think there were two instances of boats not being able to inject morphine because they didn't know how..

I will be doing next years course If you are running Dave.

Thanks guys,

Yes I am going to try and run it annually and time it to run before the AKL- Fiji/Noumea etc

Actually 3 boats in 2015 Hobart who had major issues ( compound fractured femur, Multiple broken ribs + pneumothorax and another with fractures) and despite 2 crew on each boat doing the Australian Offshore Medical Course - not one person was competent to give morphine!

This was the impetus for me to start the course - I thought I could help NZ yachties when there is no Dr or Nurse aboard. 

I have now been approached by YA to give them some advice also

Cheers

Dave

All,

We can confirm that this course is now accredited by YNZ for Offshore category 1 and has previously been accepted by YA for Offshore events including Sydney Hobart

We are running the next course at Framecad on Saturday April 22nd - details are on RAYC site, link is here http://rayc.co.nz/product/drdave

We will donate any profits to help purchase equipment for an umpire with a disability to make her job easier

If you are interested in learning about First Aid at sea or are racing offshore - please register and come along. Most people who have done the course have found it very useful

We can take a maximum of 30 people

Dr Dave

Did this course last year before Fiji race. Was fantastic. Question.. now that it is an accredited course, how long is it valid for?

Thanks Nes,

It is accredited for 5 years

Well done in RNI by the way - top effort

Cheers

Dave

Hi All, 
We are working with YNZ to get this course accredited for World Sailing compliance.

This looks very promising and once completed will mean that the course is compliant for Transpac/Fastnet etc

It has already been accepted for Offshore events in NZ and Sydney- Hobart

Places are filling quickly - if you are keen to enrol please do so ASAP

Cheers

Dr Dave

Great course! 

We all got to practice injections, staple up deep cuts and patch people up 

Thanks Dr Dave, trauma nurse Bex and RAYC.

Double injection .. going Hollywood on the injections! This not how you do it btw! :-)

Chicken Injection.JPG

Staple gun patch up .. the chicken survived!

Chicken Staple.JPG

second Clive's comments.

Excellent presentation by Dave and Rebecca with lots of valuable information and anecdotes eg when trying to put your mountain climbing mate's dislocated shoulder back in place, remember to take your crampons off first!

And no, we did not BBQ the chooks at the end of the day.

Thank you all,

I am really pleased you all enjoyed it and hopefully it may help make your sailing safer

The next course will be next year prior to the Noumea race - perhaps 3 -4 weeks prior.

I will liaise with Sally from RAYC and set the date/venue within the next few months so that you all have plenty of notice

As usual all profits will go to a charity. Last year to cyclone relief in Fiji and this year they have gone to helping set up a boat for a disabled yachting official

Regards

Dr Dave