RESCUE IN RANGI CHANNEL....

any one else hear about the rescue performed out in rangi channel yesterday at dusk ??

well have i got a story for you . myself and a good friend Scott and his mate Glen were out in scotts 7.2m alloy fizz nasty ....taking in the best of spring and getting some scallops on opening day.... yes i managed to tear myself out of the office...

...got our quota ....at the noisies......then headed back to pick up our long line at rakino....(all empty...) then made a bee line to the takapuna boat ramp.... at 25 knots... in quite flat water ..maybe 5-7 knots o breeeze.... just going past eh channel markers.....and saw an extra brighter channel marker ...that wasnt flashing ....and was inthe wrong placement ....it was red ... in line with the greens..!!

carried on for about a minuite...then saw some wafts of smoke rising from it ....hmmm maybe its a flare....but couldnt see any silouette of a boat ??...did an arc around about 1/2 a mile off it...still couldnt see any boat... but were heading towards it with t off the port bow...then it went out ....after we pickedt out it was a person in the water... ..so we kept goin in slow trying to make them out....then they lit another flare...and we went in ..and could now see there was 2 people...and they now atarted screaming at us ...we killed the motor about 100m off them ...listened ....and they were calling for help ...we cam in and picked them both up at first run...and boy did they look cold and wet..!!..a couple of likely lads ...of about 16 years old...in life jackets ... and not boat to be seen....we got them down below and put some warm dry jackets on them...gave them a cell ph to call their dad...

turns out they had been fishing over at rangi ....were heding home and did a turn in their 12 foot tinnie with a 25 on the back...and flipped it ... so there they were inthe water for about 15 minutes before we came past...

i think they were a bit lucky their dad kitted them out with flares... it was dusk and we wouldnt of seen them otherwsie...

Bloody hell, what a story. Well done.

Any idea where the flares came from i.e. were they salvaged from a container in the boat or carried on their person?

as i understand the lifejackets ...were put on from the water once the dinghy sank... and then the flares found floating in their container..

don't know if the coastguard have found the dinghy.... it had foam under the seats so could just be afloat still ...

Archived